Quantcast

SailorJack ONBOARD!!!

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

SailorJack

Reaction score
Greetings Gents, I just happened to run into this site today while doing some searches. I signed on immediately. Is this site new?

Well I am a 54 yr. old Merchant Mariner from New Jersey. I have smoked a pipe on and off for more than 30 yrs. I went through an affair with cigars for several years but I have returned to the flock never to stray again!
I started in my college years smoking mainly Danish blends such as Borkum Riff and the like. For what ever reason I never smoked any of the classic American drugstore blends until recently. I quickly became a Latakia freak starting with the 'Froggie' and then moving on to heavier blends such as 'Old Ironsides' etc. There was never such a thing as too much Latakia in a blend for me. On my return to pipe smoking I immediately went back to Heavy English and Oriental blends but they just weren't doing it for me anymore. I have since discovered that my tastes are running to more simpler blends such as Straight Virginias, Va/Burley blends and also I have developed a craving for something with a bit of sweetness.

Well that is enough of spewing off at the mouth for now. I don't want to bore you all to tears. I am looking forward to becoming a regular contributing member here and hope to meet many new Brothers of the Briar.

"IF YOU SMOKE A PIPE , YOU ARE A FRIEND OF MINE"

jhuggett

Administrator
Council Member
Reaction score
Welcome Jack! BoB has been around for almost a year now and seems to regularly attract new members so I'm guessing it will be around for years to come.

SmokeyTweed

Reaction score
Hello Jack,

Nice to have a member from the garden state!

I hope you enjoy one of Canada's greatest exports Martin Brodeur.

SailorJack

Reaction score
By the way I noticed that you are from Alberta. On the very top of my list of places to go before I die is Banff. I love the mountains and the scenery at Banff and elsewhere in Alberta is breath taking.

Justpipes

Reaction score
Welcome aboard Jack!

I have family in Mullica Hill. I was just there this past week.

Good to have you!

SmokeyTweed

Reaction score
Ahh Banff,

It is a lovely town, i prefer to go in November before the busy season when things are more quiet

Mikem

Reaction score
Welcome to Brothers of Briar. Drop your anchor and stay awhile. This is a great place to be and share everything pipe.

CPT/VSG

Reaction score
Welcome, Jack. I, too, had a fascination with cigars but then returned to the piping fold. I'm glad I did.

A

Anonymous

skaukatt":z9kkt03o said:
Bill":z9kkt03o said:
For a brief moment I thought someone had risen from the dead.
...caught my eye too, Bill.

Lou, NY
Yeah, I miss the ol' guy, Lou. I think of him every time I smoke my meerschaum.

skaukatt

Reaction score
Bill":ossscm0n said:
skaukatt":ossscm0n said:
Bill":ossscm0n said:
For a brief moment I thought someone had risen from the dead.
...caught my eye too, Bill.

Lou, NY
Yeah, I miss the ol' guy, Lou. I think of him every time I smoke my meerschaum.
Yes, me too, Bill. Speaking of meerschaums, I had to laugh when I read your post since it reminded me of funny moments with Jack. Like this one for example: Did Jack ever pull the one on you in which he would say, "Hey do you wanna see my c#@K?" Then he would quickly whip out a black case containing a meerschaum pipe carved in the shape of a man's private part! He got laughs and raised eyebrows over that one.
He was one in a million and I miss him dearly.

Lou, NY

skaukatt

Reaction score
Hi Jack. You didn't say what part of NJ you hail from but if it is at all feasible for you, allow me to extend an invitation to join us at a NY Pipe Club meeting sometime. We have a few members who reside in NJ, albeit northern, NJ. Our next meeting is on Tues. Jan. 13th. We meet at Florio's Grill & Cigar Bar in Little Italy, NYC. We can smoke in the restaurant. You can find out all the details at www.newyorkpipeclub.com.

Here's hoping you can join us at a meeting in 2009!

Lou, NY