Salutations from SE Tennessee

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello Gents,

I have been lurking here for awhile, reading and looking at pictures. I thought I would register so I could fully avail myself of the site and information. I have shown several of the smoking room/den pictures to my wife so she no longer believes me to be an isolated phenomenon, so it has already been very useful and look forward to spending more time here. I have smoked a pipe and/or cigars since I was very young. My Dad was a pipe smoker and I have his humidor and several of his pipes so I began to collect a few more and soon had well over a 100. My mother always told me that "one thing always leads to another", I suppose she was right.

Regards,
Jim

Welcome, Jim,
I was just down in your area over Thanksgiving. We were in Greeneville and did a nice drive down to Asheville while there. Lovely country. I wanted to go up to Gatlinburg so I could visit the Gatlinburlier (sp?). But, our friend, who works in Gatlinburg, told us to avoid it at all costs...traffic would be horrendous. So, another time. Enjoy your stay, here.

Welcome to the forum! @thedeep - if you ever have a chance to visit the Gatlinburlier in Gatlinburg, I would highly advise doing so.

The guy (can't remember his name right off lol) that usually works behind the pipe counter is awesome! He may come off as a little odd at first, though. On my first visit, he saw me looking at their jars of pipe tobacco and asked if I had my pipe with me (which I did, of course). He then asked what my favorite type of tobacco was and recommended (without looking at the jars because he knew EXACTLY what was where) an equivalent blend, then recommended one that he thought I may like better (which is called Newfound Blend).

Next, he invited me to load up a bowl of it and give it a try RIGHT IN THE STORE! Most places are smoke-free indoors, but he said he didn't care and that it's a tobacconist shop so smoking inside was a given lol. Within 2 minutes of lighting up the bowl, I overheard 3 different people comment on where the great smell was coming from. :)

Welcome to BoB. If you are close to Chattanooga, check out the Chattanooga Pipe and Cigar Club. Our next meeting is 7:30 pm December 18th at The Honest Pint. You can find us at Meetup page or at Facebook Page
We are a new and small group, but it is fun to hang out with fellow pipe smokers.

Thanks for the warm welcome. I live about two hours south of Gatlinburg and go there once or twice a year. I have heard of the of the shop there and just have not been although I do have about 5 pipes from there and have tried a few of the blends from there. I worked with a lady whose husband road his motorcycle up there often and she would bring me back different tobaccos when they went (I sure do miss working with her). The New Found blend is one I recall but I cannot remember the others, seems one was a cavendish of some kind. I will make it a point to get in there next time I am in Gatlinburg.

Thanks Again For The Welcome,
Jim

How far from Chattanooga are you? Burn's Tobacconist over on the east side of town is starting to carry a larger selection of tinned pipe tobacco.

dpkrause":vm6xin6e said:
How far from Chattanooga are you? Burn's Tobacconist over on the east side of town is starting to carry a larger selection of tinned pipe tobacco.
I am just north of Chattanooga, between Cleveland and Athens. I currently buy from Williams Tobacco in Cleveland. Melvin Williams is the owner and a fine fellow. I do get to Chattanooga regularly so I may check them out as well. I have spent quite a bit of time in the Tinder Box at Hamilton Place while my wife does her shopping and I have a cardiologist down there who like to see me and my wallet on a regular basis :lol: .

Regards,
Jim