Sam Gawith Virginias

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think he's not saying they all get some of the 'essence' (whatever that means), but that the term lakeland should be used geographically. In that case, they're all English blends as well. Although etymologically correct, I think that using the term lakeland to refer to the herbal/floral aromatics and English to refer to VA-Oriental-Latakia blends is more descriptive, and thus more useful, even if they're based on historical misinformation.

In the thread about R-blend and Epiphany (Revelation clones) someone asked what an American blend is. I suppose Monbla would have answered that it's any blend made in American; like 5100, FM2000, Sutliff's Molto Dolce, GLP's Abingdon, Carter Hall, or H&H Lakeland Brickle. But by using these terms in strict geographical sense only, the statement 'I like American blends' has virtually no meaning. I'd prefer to use the terms so that specifying 'I like English blends' tells you something about my taste for latakia, rather than telling you nothing at all.

Brewdude":90g1obbc said:
Blackhorse":90g1obbc said:
He's just saying...if it's made in the Lakeland's, then it's a Lakeland. ie. stinky or not, as many err by not calling an unscented blend a Lakeland, even though it's produced in that district. My read, anyway.
Yes of course. But what was the point of the bolded statement? Seems to be an inference that they are all subject to the "Lakeland" character.

Cheers,

RR
I don't know how it got put in BOLD type as that's NOT how I typed it nor how it appears on my 'puter screen. Gremlins at work I imagine !! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Three words: age, age, age.

There is really nothing quite like opening up a well aged jar or tin of SG flakes and seeing a thickly "sugar crystal" encrusted, sticky stack of empire leaf looking back at you. Good stuff indeed.

Thomas Tkach":5wtdt05g said:
I think he's not saying they all get some of the 'essence' (whatever that means), but that the term lakeland should be used geographically. In that case, they're all English blends as well. Although etymologically correct, I think that using the term lakeland to refer to the herbal/floral aromatics and English to refer to VA-Oriental-Latakia blends is more descriptive, and thus more useful, even if they're based on historical misinformation.

In the thread about R-blend and Epiphany (Revelation clones) someone asked what an American blend is. I suppose Monbla would have answered that it's any blend made in American; like 5100, FM2000, Sutliff's Molto Dolce, GLP's Abingdon, Carter Hall, or H&H Lakeland Brickle. But by using these terms in strict geographical sense only, the statement 'I like American blends' has virtually no meaning. I'd prefer to use the terms so that specifying 'I like English blends' tells you something about my taste for latakia, rather than telling you nothing at all.
As far as things being labeled geographicaly, back in the dark ages, prior to our more enlightened 'puter age, many 'baccy's WERE catagorized in this manner. ENGLISH/BALKAN blends were what most blends made in England were, AMERICAN blends were what most OTC Aro's were refered to and Va's were mainly reffered to as that though sometimes by the cut ie Flake, Ribbon, Coin etc as it was mostly Va's found in these cuts. Things weren't as SPECIFIC nor were we in our pre-interweb ignorence :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

monbla256":4dys4g9e said:
Thomas Tkach":4dys4g9e said:
I think he's not saying they all get some of the 'essence' (whatever that means), but that the term lakeland should be used geographically. In that case, they're all English blends as well. Although etymologically correct, I think that using the term lakeland to refer to the herbal/floral aromatics and English to refer to VA-Oriental-Latakia blends is more descriptive, and thus more useful, even if they're based on historical misinformation...I'd prefer to use the terms so that specifying 'I like English blends' tells you something about my taste for latakia, rather than telling you nothing at all.
As far as things being labeled geographicaly, back in the dark ages, prior to our more enlightened 'puter age, many 'baccy's WERE catagorized in this manner. ENGLISH/BALKAN blends were what most blends made in England were, AMERICAN blends were what most OTC Aro's were refered to and Va's were mainly reffered to as that though sometimes by the cut ie Flake, Ribbon, Coin etc as it was mostly Va's found in these cuts.  Things weren't as SPECIFIC nor were we in our pre-interweb ignorence :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:  
I think I've read that it's a myth to say that all English blends had latakia in them. Nevertheless, if what you're saying is true, you actually were being specific. Because globalization has allowed American blenders to imitate English blenders, we can continue that specificity by using the terms to refer to styles, not to location of manufacture.

The exact thing has happened with beer styles. American craft- and home-brewers are imitating beer styles from England, Belgium, Germany, and Bohemia. We still use the geographical labels, but in reference to style, not to actual location of manufacture. There are even styles names that refer very specifically to geography; Northern English brown vs. Southern English brown, Munich Dunkel, VIenna lager, Dortmunder export, Kolsche, et al. Once upon a time these were just the way beers were brewed in a given area. Now these styles are brewed all over the world.

Blackhorse":zejh6jn0 said:
Slow down. Side stream. Try a Prince. Maybe they're not your thing.

Just a few ideas.
I think I do this already, but I gotta ask - side stream?

Tonight - McC's 2010 Classic Va.

Less sweet than red cake, and not as "muddy" as the SG's.

As in the tongue bite thread I started, I took the Lakeland comment to mean it's a euro style Va, with African (?) sourced Va's, vs. U.S. sourced Va's.

Thomas - is the estate Oscar you have FS a decent Va shape?

Side stream: the road your Mom always told you that...oh wait! That's not right. It's drawing roughly equal parts via the pipe's bit from the pipe and opening your lips enough to get air from outside the bit/stem at the same time and mix them, sort of. Soma dis, soma dat. A 50/50 draw...smoke and air. It's like you really like good girls, but they gotta be a little bit bad too. Like a marble cake...a soft serve ice cream cone that's mixed vanilla and chocolate...an Oreo! 

Well, enough of that.

Like cask strength scotch and a splash of water........

Coffee with cream........

Strippers and glitter........

Makes sense.

DireWolf":11vh9v9b said:
Thomas - is the estate Oscar you have FS a decent Va shape?
Sorry, I just shipped that one. Personally, I prefer narrower-medium bowls that are a little taller for VAs.

Seems like everyone has covered so much I would only add that Kendall Cream Flake is a Samuel Gawith flake that is scented but the taste is dramatically less floral, perfume, panties than the others. It seems, to many, much more accessible in taste. Worth a shot if you are at all inclined. Again, I would dry it really well. A fresh cracked tin and undried before smoking is the failure plan for many SG products imo.

juanmedusa":az08q498 said:
Seems like everyone has covered so much I would only add that Kendall Cream Flake is a Samuel Gawith flake that is scented but the taste is dramatically less floral, perfume, panties than the others. It seems, to many, much more accessible in taste. Worth a shot if you are at all inclined. Again, I would dry it really well. A fresh cracked tin and undried before smoking is the failure plan for many SG products imo.
Always meant to give that one shot.

I agree.

One of the most dissapointing smokes I ever had, St James Flake in my 66 Dunhill Shell Billiard. One of the best smokes I have ever had - St. James Flake in my 66 Dunhill Shell Billiiard. The difference? Decanting and dry time. This makes a world or difference.

The side streaming helped a little for the BBF, though I was close to that in pace already.

The flavor improved a little, but it still seemed uni-dimensional.

More testing needed.

8)

I'm not much into Best Brown or Medium VA Flakes...preferring Dark Flake & Plug, esp the scented, & Broken Flake No. 7, etc. I also prefer the Sweet Rum Twist, which has just enough flavor to cut the edge off a bit. Lovely, potent, memorable...esp. during recovery in the ER.

I'm in sort of the same boat having recently tried to get into va myself. Namely dunhill flake and BBF. I also gave a try to macbaren modern va. I found I couldn't hang with dunhill on this one. Unbelievable sour lemon flavor to it. Which may be my mouth chemistry. The BBF wasn't as bad on that note, but stilll rough. I did enjoy them somewhat, but not enough to keep going after the tin was gone. The macbaren was not bad, but hardly what I had intended to get into originally. It's kind of a light aro, which was very nice but off target. Whatever, it was free from smokingpipes at the time. Monbla recommended some mixtures that had reds and such in them I'm going to try in my next order. Also, I gave another shot to petersons Sherlock holmes, which I have been enjoying more this time around. I think the addition of a bit of burley makes a huge difference.

I don't know if this helps, but it's what Ive picked up on recently. I don't know, I can't see smoking something for an extended period if I can't enjoy it enough to want to smoke more. But then again, I got nailed by a very abnormal sourness that most people don't. Makes my mouth sour just thinking about it.

Oh yeah, glenlivet helped. And belvanie Caribbean cask on the rocks. The smoky goodness balances out the sour some for me.

I have no problem with the 5100, which is mild and sweet. The stave aged 35 is so good (topping ?), it's almost unfair to include it.

OGS is hitting a middle ground for me. Been hitting it pretty good this weekend. Seems to calm down for me once lit, and I can taste some variations. Once gone, I'm toying with trying an aged OGS to see the difference ageing makes in a specific blend. If favorable in a big way, I'll likely pick up some Va tins here and there to build a bit of a cellar so I can enjoy aged Va's in the future. Will be doing the same with Escudo, and other mild VaPer blends also.

If they didn't age well, no one would do it, so I dropped some $ on some aged tins to find out.

Yeah, outside of recommending you try Solani Silver Flake (did I suggest that already?) you might think about branching off the more purely VA flakes and think about VA/Per or VA/Burley, etc. The added components are there not only to provide added flavor notes (which some like and some don't) but to tame the pure VA tendency to burn hot. VA's are often very picky about moisture level and smoking cadence, etc. So, breaking into the Perique blends...first one I'd recommend is Escudo...well received by about 95% of those that try it. Other than that, maybe Reiner's Long Golden Flake, or one of the Rattray trio: Old Gowrir, Marlin Flake or Hal 'O the Wynd. I'd maybe wait on the VA/Burley flakes, as they really include Gawaith Best Brown and Brown Flake Unscented...one of which doesn't work for you I guess. A slightly different direction with a VA/Burley flake would be ones where the Burley is a Dark Fired. Here the Burley is flue cured and adds a nice smokey flavor, a bit like Latakia but different. In this category I would suggest either GLPease Jack Knife Plug or MacBaren HH Old Dark Fired...both appeal to a broad range of smokers.

Good luck.

Indeed.

The Rattray's, Escudo, and Rainier are on my radar. Also got some Brunello Flake as a Savinelli freebie for the same reason. I've had luck with Dunhill Flake in the past, so that's on the in list to retry also.