Sam Spade's Pipe Tobacco Contest

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, here we are. Another fine and clear Sunday morning in God's country and the end of the first ever "Pipes of the Famous" give-away. With a free pipe up for grabs I'm surprised that this didn't generate a little more action, but maybe it's good it went under the rader as those that would greedily bicker and bitch about rules and bylaws and all that didn't show up, thank goodness.

And so...on to the important stuff...the winner. Drumroll please.................

And the winner is.......Airborne!

Airborm's entry of "Prince Albert" was chosen for several reason's. First, because it was correct. I know, I know...I'm always a niggler for the basics. In addition, he made significant and cogent contributions to this thread in terms of basic research, backstory and even sidestory. So even though he's up there in the clutches of our good neighbor and friend (let's all hum a few bars of 'Oh, Canada' for background) to the North...and so shipping will be a hassle...he deserves his pipe and to smoke it too. Ultimately, I gotta say that his clarification re: Howard Duff in the 'great Spade print ad controversy' pretty much cinched it for him. Now THAT'S the kind of insight and effort that set's man apart! Kudos, and well deserved.

All he has to do to claim and receive his prizes (nudge, nudge...wink, wink) is to agree via posting here (just post here that you agree and pm me your mailing address) that he will provide us with a photo of himself smoking his new pipe. This is both for the sake of verification and for fun.

Keep watch on these hallowed pages. This little contest was posted in the 'jar' as it related to that topic most closely. Future contests could pop up almost anywhere.

Thanks one and all for your interest and participation.

Airborne has checked in and supplied the address and pledge to post his glorious photo spread.

So - back at ya Airborne...

Merci pour l'adresse. Alors c'est votre première grande victoire? Félicitations encore une fois. Nous sommes impatients de vous voir avec votre prix. Je vais l'envoyer dès que possible.

Cheval Noir
:mrgreen:

Blackhorse":hupgw0rk said:
Airborne has checked in and supplied the address and pledge to post his glorious photo spread.

So - back at ya Airborne...

Merci pour l'adresse. Alors c'est votre première grande victoire? Félicitations encore une fois. Nous sommes impatients de vous voir avec votre prix. Je vais l'envoyer dès que possible.

Cheval Noir
:mrgreen:

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I don't believe I've ever won anything in my life (except of course my lovely wife's heart!). I have indeed pledged to post a picture: me, a fedora, the pipe, the tobacco, and the black bird - all the stuff dreams are made of!

Congratulations bud! Good job! Enjoy your wife and your pipe.

The hefty prize package in likely in the hands of Canadian Customs as I write this. I have promises from out lucky (and brave) winner that he will post at least on shot of him 'enjoying' his booty (Um...no, never mind).

Three cheers for Blackhorse! His generous grand prize arrived from the Motherland today!

For those of you who weren’t following, Blackhorse initiated and oversaw a whatdidsamspadesmoke contest. Considering the fact that I was not privy to the smoking habits of Mr. Samuel Spade, Private Investigator, I had to use deductive reasoning to come up with his blend of choice. Ruminating a bit over his probable income level, work habits, availability of tobacco, etc., in the 1930s, I spit out . . . Prince Albert. Blackhorse was impressed enough with my guess to award me four items that I have NEVER before in my 63 years had: a genuine Missouri Meerschaum MacArthur corn cob pipe, a hand made tamper long enough for a deep chamber, a pouch of Prince Albert and a pouch of Half and Half along with extra long pipe cleaners!

Along with Blackhorse's generous prize came a bit of historical military Americana to boot!

Merci beaucoup, encore et encore, M. Cheval Noir!

:cheers: :cheers:

I noticed the long cleaners and custom tamper too! I didn't take into account how deep the bowl is and indeed an extended tamper would be necessary.

Profitez des cadeaux!

Monsieur E