Sampling Vanilla

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Gentlemen and ladies,

As a new piper I am attempting rotations through various blends rather than leapfrogging about as a means to better understanding tobacco flavors and mentally catalogue my experiences. As of now I am sampling vanilla aromatics as well as the occasional English blend.

Concerning vanillas, what do the Brothers recommend? I have heard Prince Albert's Cherry Vanilla and any Honey plus Vanilla mixture are popular with most, albeit not solely Vanilla.

—OM :monkey:

I didn't mind Mac Baren Vanilla Flake if memory serves me but I only smoked one tin of that. It was at the time I was transitioning away from aromatics. Although I believe there is other flavorings in Lane's 1-Q besides vanilla I still think it has one of the best flavors for an aromatic. It is awfully mild and a true aromatic but I'll be damned if that flavor and smell isn't heavenly. :lol:

Boswell has a sort of semi-aro called Dan's blend. Its a Virginia ribbon cut with a vanilla flavoring. Pretty simple and fairly well behaved. Pretty good as far as such blends go. Sounds like something you might wanna try.

Anthony Cranswick Green Castle sits somewhere between American and Danish aro styles... mostly burley-va blend, with a little black cavendish and vanilla topping added. Not bad at all if you like vanilla.

I'm not a fan of vanilla or most flavorings, but I picked up some Mariner Mixture at Kirsten Pipe last week. The woman claimed there was no flavoring in it, but it's lightly sweet and has a faint sugary or vanilla-y flavor, as far as I can tell.

Although I've had one of their people tell me otherwise, Mariner Mixture is Lane's 1-Q. I watched another guy fill the jar out of a five pound Lane's bag the first time I was there. :lol:

jhuggett":6ezgafzy said:
Although I've had one of their people tell me otherwise, Mariner Mixture is Lane's 1-Q. I watched another guy fill the jar out of a five pound Lane's bag the first time I was there. :lol:
Considering the tin description is identical, that would make sense! The only Lane stuff I've had was the slightly over-processed Captain Spice, but I was on the lookout for 1Q for a long time. That clears a lot of stuff up.

So put me in for 1Q, and I don't even like aros.

I'm a Vanilla fan. My favorite (so far) is the McClellands Vanilla Black Cavendish. You can get it in bulk for very reasonable, and its quite tasty! Plus even my wife likes the way it smells! Enjoy your search!

Forgive my ignorance, but is 1Q specific to this "Lane" brand, or is it a common name for a company's tobacco blends? I know that Iwan Ries, my local tobacconist in Chicago, has a 1Q blend of their own...

Just got some Mac Baren's Vanilla Cream Flake and can't wait to give it a try, but have not tried it yet, but I also got some Mac Baren's Vanilla Cream that was a few years old and it was very nice, well still is. All the women love the smell too.

Skip

Skip48":5eg3j79e said:
Just got some Mac Baren's Vanilla Cream Flake and can't wait to give it a try, but have not tried it yet...
Skip,
Please keep me appraised at the differences between the flake and the other. It sounds intriguing.

SO far only one bowl of the Flake and they are really close, but it's been a couple weeks since I smoked the other, but will tomorrow to compare for you. I like both and am thinking the Flake may just be more of the same, just one is cut and the other is Flake and maybe the Flake is a bit more of the sweet vanilla. I will get a better compare tomorrow as I have a bowl of Bob's Chocolate Flake in right now.

Skip

OldWorldMonkey I don't know what difference there is in my loose cut since I am unsure of it's age and what age does to it if anything since it's an aromatic and age I am told doesn't really help aromatic tobacco, but I am not one that knows this part. What I can tell you is both have a very full vanilla taste and smell and I don't like a lot of Aromatics as many have a lot of tongue bite, but this one is not like that. I enjoy both a lot. They are not something at the top of my list since I like the Va & VaPer stuff most.

I guess thins one just kind of boils down to if you want loose cut or Flake as both are very close and the loose cut is just that cut different.

Skip

I have heard good things about MacBarens Vanilla Flake as well. As for the whole 1 q discussion, my local tobacconist Uptowns Smoke Shop in Nashville, uses it as one of their house blends.

CAO Bella Vanilla------Its one of the strongest vanillas I've ever had. Makes most others taste weak. Room note is heavy too.

Greetings,

I highly recommend Lane BCA - Black Cavendish Aromatic. Very vanilla, but not cloyingly so. Tobacco flavor comes through, and absolutely no bite whatsoever. Great taste and room aroma. Cool smoking, and not goopy when packed slightly loose. A true classic and a good blender, too.

BCA was the first pipe tobacco I ever smoked, and it is still my "go to" tobacco today, 35 years later.

Also, McClelland VBC - Vanilla Black Cavendish. Extreme vanilla, almost butterscotch like. Again, no bite and very smooth.

Avoid any Altadis vanilla blends such as D-40 Vanilla or B-20 Black Cavendish. I personally find that they have a moldy character, flat flavor, burn hot, and tend to bite. Of course, YMMV.

Happy smoking!

CACooper

I have never tried the Lane BCA or the McClelland but will give them a try also. I do know that I really like the Mac Baren and only had two bowls of the Flake and it's very nice. Clean like lost of Flake and not overly wet, just right the tin I have is. I can hardly tell the difference in the loose cut and the Flake, but my Flake is new and the Loose cut is aged 3-5 years.

I do intend on buying maybe 2 pounds of the Flake soon. A the same time will find these other ones CA Cooper mentioned as I do like Vanilla a lot, but hate bite. Gonna write them both down now on my list of must try. I have been so far into the McClelland Va & VaPer's and the Lakelands I have not tried much else lately especially since I got the Orientals bug.

Say CA Cooper have you ever tried the Mac Baren Vanilla Flake? Just curious since I have not tried your fav's it would be good to get a comparison form someone that tried all 3.

Appreciate the avoid mentions too, LOL!

Skip
PS at least buy one tin of the Flake or Loose Cut, but again I have never tried new loose cut, but have new Flake as I just got it. It's always sold out.