Samuel Gawith, Et al

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carlos

Administrator
Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
The current distributer has discontinued carrying Bracken Flake, due to poor sales. That is information from I got from one of my favorite Etailers. They say to keep calling and ordering and they will keep asking for it. Maybe the distributer will change it's mind.

The current distributer is only going to be supplying a handful of blends as bulk. Everything else, not discontinued, will be available only in tins, with some in 250g boxes. I don't think we know all the blends this distributer is discontinuing.

We already cannot get most of the blends. Prices across the Internet are all over the place, with one Etailer listing a pound of Brown #4 rope at over a $100 a pound. Limit one pound per customer. If they have it, as I have not asked. Your local B&M's may have stocks of your favorites. But for how long?

I am assured that the factory is working full time. They simply cannot keep up with worldwide demand.

Of course there was that thread a month or so ago giving a particular Etailer a raking over the coals for their pricing. I saw a mention of pricing at another Etailer in the RATS thread. Have you guys actually took a good look around? A lot of the Etailers have increased prices on some items, because of limited supply and high demand. On various blends. And eBay.....I don't even want to think about how stupid some of the pricing is over there.

This is to let you guys know, what little I know. Each Etailer has their own pricing structure. They are a business and some of their business is private. As it should be. This thread is not a place to savage any particular Etailer for their prices. Doing so will probably result in moderation with extreme prejudice.

I am simply asking that if you like a particular blend, that seems to be in constant short supply. Do what my Etailer told me. Ask your favorite Etailer, or B&M to order more. Be polite! But keep asking. They will pass that on to the distributer. You want Bracken Flake available in 5 pound bulk, ask for it that way. You want other blends, ask! Hey you never know.

Thought you guys should know.

Prices on some of these tobaccos, say Penzance for example, are obviously way too low. They simply sell out too fast at "normal" prices and it seems stupid to me for the retailer, or the producer, or the distributor not to seek supply and demand equilibrium by raising prices. That could bite 'em in the ass, of course, but that's their problem and their call. Blame the hoarders--not that there are any around here, of course.

I like these tobaccos, and would gladly pay higher prices to get them. On the other hand, there are so many out there, what difference does it make? Still, the scarcity rankles.

Richard Burley":dlg9b7ni said:
Prices on some of these tobaccos, say Penzance for example, are obviously way too low.  They simply sell out too fast at "normal" prices and it seems stupid to me for the retailer, or the producer, or the distributor not to seek supply and demand equilibrium by raising prices.  That could bite 'em in the ass, of course, but that's their problem and their call.  Blame the hoarders--not that there are any around here, of course.

I like these tobaccos, and would gladly pay higher prices to get them.  On the other hand, there are so many out there, what difference does it make?  Still, the scarcity rankles.  
I always miss out on Penzance and Stonehaven because I'm overseas and it's usually gone before I awake, if it even comes in stock. If refuse to pay $40 for a tin that isn't significantly aged or extinct. It's a shame really. I wish they would just make more. I mean, I know so many people who smoke a particular Pease item that is popular and never out of stock.

I'm I reading this correct in that this doesn't have any immediately negative impact on the distribution of 50g tins, with the exception of Bracken Flake?

There are things I don't understand. Please don't get me wrong, I don't mean to criticize, I truly do not understand. Why worry about certain tobaccos when there is so much out there?
For certain blends, like some of the esoterica tobaccos, I don't discredit the supply and demand relation. However, as a business, knowing that your product sells faster than the speed of light at over-inflated prices, why would you not pick up more production? I would think, personally, that many are buying into a "game" with blends like Penzance.

If you are a guy who smokes only one or two blends exclusively then I could understand. If Penzance was the only one of its kind I would also understand. However, I get the impression that most pipe smokers aren't a one or two tobacco kind a guy.

Just my two cents.

idbowman":bhi4qag4 said:
I'm I reading this correct in that this doesn't have any immediately negative impact on the distribution of 50g tins, with the exception of Bracken Flake?  
That is the only one I am aware of. Because I asked about it.

Smokey-smokey":n013l8zg said:
There are things I don't understand. Please don't get me wrong, I don't mean to criticize, I truly do not understand. Why worry about certain tobaccos when there is so much out there?
For certain blends, like some of the esoterica tobaccos, I don't discredit the supply and demand relation. However, as a business, knowing that your product sells faster than the speed of light at over-inflated prices, why would you not pick up more production? I would think, personally, that many are buying into a "game" with blends like Penzance.

If you are a guy who smokes only one or two blends exclusively then I could understand. If Penzance was the only one of its kind I would also understand. However, I get the impression that most pipe smokers aren't a one or two tobacco kind a guy.

Just my two cents.
Many of the still existing older British blenders, STILL use methods of production which do NOT allow them to meet the current market demand. Larger blending firms such as K&K, STG/Orlik use much more modern production methods which allow them to process MORE tobacco based on their market demands. This combined with the "hoarding" as is actively persued by some folks these days has created this problem. I don't see as much of this will change in the near future! JMHO  :twisted: :twisted:

This kind of thing happens all the time in the cigar world. The Fuentes are the best at it. If you catch my drift.