Samuel Gawith

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

denholrl

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
I was in the UK a couple of months ago and was going to pass through Kendal, in the Lake District.  Kendal is home to Samuel Gawith, so I called to see if I could get a tour of the factory.  I spoke with a friendly fellow who regretted having to turn me down.  It seems that they are a BONDED warehouse and, as such, cannot have visitors.  Too bad.  We did drive by and I took a couple of pics.

I mentioned that I had had some bulk Grousemoor that I liked very much but found it quite different from the tinned version, both in cut and in flavor.  He said that there should not be any difference between the two.  I asked about the inclusion of deer's tongue in the blend, but he was unaware of them using that wild herb.  He did say that they case Grousemoor with a solution having "about 20" ingredients.  Wow!  I had no idea.

Rob

It would have been great to tour the facility!

But it is cool to have been able to drive by it in any case.

Thanks for the picture!

denholrl said:
I was in the UK a couple of months ago and was going to pass through Kendal, in the Lake District.  Kendal is home to Samuel Gawith, so I called to see if I could get a tour of the factory.  I spoke with a friendly fellow who regretted having to turn me down.  It seems that they are a BONDED warehouse and, as such, cannot have visitors.  Too bad.  We did drive by and I took a couple of pics.

I mentioned that I had had some bulk Grousemoor that I liked very much but found it quite different from the tinned version, both in cut and in flavor.  He said that there should not be any difference between the two.  I asked about the inclusion of deer's tongue in the blend, but he was unaware of them using that wild herb.  He did say that they case Grousemoor with a solution having "about 20" ingredients.  Wow!  I had no idea.

Rob

Thanks for the great pic. And good to see you post!! Don't be a stranger!:cheers: FTRPLT

Ridiculous that you couldn't get in to see the facility. I would love to visit Kendal.

Somewhere on the interweb there was some cool footage from a guy who toured the Wilson's of Sharrow snuff mills. That would be a great one to take.

The Orlik videos that were bouncing around about a year ago were pretty good, too. Now THAT'S an operation! :shock: