Samuel Gawith

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D.L.Ruth

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
Just placed an order for some Samuel Gawith Black XX, and squadron leader. Have never tried either and they were out of the small tins of XX so had to go with the 250g. Now to wait to get home to get it

I have not tried the Squadron Leader and had to get the 250 g as well from a different vendor. Not sure if they will make good on it though. No shipment information from them since the order was placed and will need to verify on Friday.

Here's to hoping you enjoy Black XX more than I. I love strong tobaccos, but smoking diesel fuel just didn't do it for me.

Brewdude":ckqe2e5a said:
Make sure you jar up those 250 bags right away Mr. Ruth. Ask me how I know..........

:pale:

Cheers,

RR
Or don't. It's pretty painful.

Brewdude":x302mqbl said:
Make sure you jar up those 250 bags right away Mr. Ruth. Ask me how I know..........

Cheers,

RR
Shoot, it doesn't come in a tin? Hmmm will have to the wife to take care of that lol. Thanks for the heads up

D.L.Ruth":9zsa4lov said:
Brewdude":9zsa4lov said:

Cheers,

RR
Shoot, it doesn't come in a tin? Hmmm will have to the wife to take care of that lol. Thanks for the heads up

The XX does come tinned...if you can get it.  I have a tin in my collection...being carefully aged.  At least I assume they still tin it.  If not...MY tin is worth a pirat’s ransom!

Yeah...it’s in stock in a few places.

Kinda hard to tell here, but it’s a heavy coated paper tray kinda thing inside a tight fitting plastic wrapping.

I’m really fortunate that I have google so I can look this stuff up in about a minute.

I have a tin of XX but haven't tried it yet. Smoked Brown Bogie and smoke a ton of Sweet Rum Twist. I found the best method is use a good cigar cutter to cut coins rub and pack loosely. If you are constantly relighting then you might have packed it tight.

Hmmm . . . should I crack that tin now? Hell, might as well wait. I have a ton of open stuff now.

So 250 grams is just shy of 9 ounces. I can see placing it in two separate containers of 4 ounces each and giving it a smoosh. With the expansion once it is unpacked what size jar(s) should I be purchasing?

peanubutter":y0krbave said:
So 250 grams is just shy of 9 ounces. I can see placing it in two separate containers of 4 ounces each and giving it a smoosh. With the expansion once it is unpacked what size jar(s) should I be purchasing?
I get the small jelly jars and load 50 grams per jar. You could get a couple of 8 ounce jars and split the box between them.

Black XX tastes like a greasy steak on a charcoal grill. Takes a lot for me to get a nic-hit but this one had me drunk. Best eat a steak or a full meal before smoking it. I plan on using my Black XX in some blending experiments. It IMHO is a much bigger vitamin-N bomb then brown bogie.

GeoffC":3qonrypc said:
Black XX tastes like a greasy steak on a charcoal grill.  Takes a lot for me to get a nic-hit but this one had me drunk.   Best eat a steak or a full meal before smoking it.  I plan on using my Black XX in some blending experiments.  It IMHO is a much bigger vitamin-N bomb then brown bogie.
Yeah, I plan on the tin of XX I have to be the last thing I smoke when my cellar runs out in 20 years or so....

The Gawith-Hoggarth Black Irish Twist is similar, but not quite as strident (to my taste, at least)

peanubutter":h5olucc4 said:
I do 4 2oz jars as I like to leave it sealed for as long as possible.