Samuel Gawiths Tobaccos unavailable

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michael drue

Reaction score
Hello all!

My Jar with Samuel Gawith 1792 is almost empty
The Stores are out of stock!
When we can buy it again? may someone knows more about that .

Mike

With your last bowl of 1792 cogitate on this....
When the pipe tobacco market was 100 times the size it is today Samuel Gawith was the same size with very likely the same max output capacity that it has today. The difference? Big Tobacco was making & selling most of the pipe tobacco in the world back then. Gawith was a small regional supplier to the UK Trade. And virtually no N. American pipe smokers had ever heard of Gawith.

Moral of the story: The shortages will get worse.
Big Tobacco has mostly exited the pipe tobacco market and Gawith is still not growing to meet demand. We're experiencing a resurgence in pipe smoking and the small companies are either having or will shortly be experiencing difficulty keeping enough inventory flowing to keep shelves stocked unless they grow.

But that market demand is increasing means there is investment ie discontinued blends returning and virtually no recently discontinued blends (due to declining sales). Which, indeed, is one of the characteristics of the market in the US.

Hello all!
Thanks for all comments.

I will contact both places if they still have something in stock!

Have a nice day!
Michael

Rusty

Your command of the history and details of the industry interests me. On at least one other post you have asserted other factual information.

With the greatest respect, do you have a professional association with the pipe tobacco industry or are you a very informed individual? If you revealed this in some introduction somewhere else in this forum I must have missed it.

In any case you put forth very interesting assertions, which I have not considered until now. Please sir, what is your background?

Cheers,

RR

Rusty":jsdn9c0q said:
With your last bowl of 1792 cogitate on this....
When the pipe tobacco market was 100 times the size it is today Samuel Gawith was the same size with very likely the same max output capacity that it has today. The difference? Big Tobacco was making & selling most of the pipe tobacco in the world back then. Gawith was a small regional supplier to the UK Trade. And virtually no N. American pipe smokers had ever heard of Gawith.

Moral of the story: The shortages will get worse.
Big Tobacco has mostly exited the pipe tobacco market and Gawith is still not growing to meet demand. We're experiencing a resurgence in pipe smoking and the small companies are either having or will shortly be experiencing difficulty keeping enough inventory flowing to keep shelves stocked unless they grow.

But that market demand is increasing means there is investment ie discontinued blends returning and virtually no recently discontinued blends (due to declining sales). Which, indeed, is one of the characteristics of the market in the US.