sand blasting

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pipe maker

Reaction score
:confused: Hello men, Iwas wondering if anyone could sandblast a pipe I made (don't have a blaster)I usually rusticate but this has some great grain and it would bea pity to not take advantage of it I will be happy to pay for this Thanx Bob Clark

pipe maker":ta9dhfvb said:
:confused: Hello men, Iwas wondering if anyone could sandblast a pipe I made (don't have a blaster)I usually rusticate but this has some great grain and it would bea pity to not take advantage of it I will be happy to pay for this Thanx Bob Clark
This post has me curious about actual sandblasters. I see some listed at various websites for $60 - $150. Others in the thousands. Would the lower end sandblasters work well for blasting a pipe?

I have the cyclone 150 or something like that, it's a small bench top unit. My compressor's not huge but not tiny either, I have gotten satisfactory results, but nothing near the depth of a Cooke or the like. I think more has to do with media selection than the actual unit one has. I am still searching for the right set-up on this one, and other makers aren't much help on this, they'll gladly share just about anything else, but they're pretty tightlipped about blasting.

More to the original question though, I have read somewhere sometime about makers sending their pipes to be blasted, but for the life of me can't remember where, maybe Stanwell?? It's not something I was really interested in, I want to get it figured out for myself.

Maybe you are not asking the right makers. :D

http://www.pipemakersforum.com/

Rad Davis, Todd Johnson, Jeff Gracik, etc. post frequently and have all posted their blast set ups.

The major thing that most underestimate is not the blast cabinet itself or the media. It is the compressor. You need a rather large compressor to get the results of Davis and such. A unit that is capable of 2CFM and 90psi at the bare minimum would be what you'd need to start seeing those results.

-Adam

I've noticed that some pipe makers are using an etching tool to trace the grain before blasting
to get that deep craggy effect. :shock:

Winslow :sunny:

Winslow":iyzn7kbn said:
I've noticed that some pipe makers are using an etching tool to trace the grain before blasting
to get that deep craggy effect. :shock:

Winslow :sunny:
Never realised that... interesting on how that deep effect is achieved.

Cheers

Justin.