Sasieni Chester 8 dot help

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mimefrog

Reaction score
I'm a pipe newbie and I recently stumbled upon a rusticated Sasieni "Chester" 8 dot at my local B&M (2 in fact, my friend bought the other).  After a little research it appears to be quite collectable!  The stem is oxidized in few places and the rim has a slight nick but it is otherwise very sound.

I plan to smoke it, not sell it.  Any suggestions about where I might have it professionally cleaned up?  Any idea of its value?

Much thanks for any advice!

ask the guys you bought it from... a lot of long established tobacconists still offer these services.  other than that, there are several different ways to get that "like-new" look at home, depending on what you have hiding in your tool shed (a buffer to take off the gunk, followed by a nice waxing, or good old fashioned elbow grease method with 1000 grit sand paper working on up to 2000).  For seriously "ghosted" pipes, an ozone treatment from Walker Briar Works will do the trick, they also have a "Stem Restore Kit" if you think that is something you'd like to give a try for a modest investment. Check out the "Pipe Techniques" section for further advice ad nauseum

John B Hayes in Fair Oaks Mall or Winchester could clean it up. Of drive up to Hagerstown, and I'll do it here in my shop. Does that 8 dot have a patent number on it?

If its an original 8 dot patent in nice condition you are looking at some serious $$$.
:D 

Only bearing in mind, for the sake of perspective, that getting them to put the four additional dots on the other side of the stem of a four-dot and charging more for it was the brainchild of their US distributor.

It was not a reflection of quality -- it was a marketing gimmick.

:face:

Ok thanks! Perhaps someday I will get the tools and learn what I need to do a full restore myself, but for now I think I'll use a professional (we are crammed into a small apartment ATM). I'll see how it smokes tonight and decide whether I care enough right now to make er' shine.

The patent on the stem is faded but its twin (identical except the stem had a bit less length and bend) had "1513428." You can make out most of it on mine. The stamp on the underside has the "fish shaped" Saseini swirl. Thing is, I don't want to think about its potential value so much that I'm too afraid to smoke it!

BTW, what is the name of the VA B&M? i workmin NOVA with some frequency and love finding nee places.

John Crouch in Old Town, Alexandria. They brought in a lot of estates and weren't sure how to price the Sasienis. They put a nice number on it and I snagged it quick!

I saw that article as well.  That's what I'm thinking.  It is a really solid, big pipe.  As a 30-something, I like the idea that it was probably smoked by someone of the Greatest Generation and the war ... This stuff will soon be disappearing as time marches on.

Edit/update: It smokes great. Couldn't get rid of all the old owner's ghosts but they seem more like Caspers than poltergeists. Thanks again all.

They are very good pipes. I have a "Ruff Root" 8 dot marked "Cowes" and it's an excellent smoker.

mimefrog":nioijncj said:
John Crouch in Old Town, Alexandria.  They brought in a lot of estates and weren't sure how to price the Sasienis.  They put a nice number on it and I snagged it quick!
Eight dots typically go for serious dinero! I'm a little perplexed that the pipe shop owner didn't have a greater knowledge of Sasienis. Don't know what you paid for it, but I suspect you got a steal!! Congratulations!!! And enjoy yur pipe. FTRPLT

Thanks! I tend to think the ghost of George Washington wanted me to have a really good pipe.

Ah yes, Crouch. Parking is tough there, so I don't venture down much. Right place at the right time for you!