Savinelli: Adapter or Filters required?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TonyS

Reaction score
So have my first pipe here, a Savinelli estate, and I've been reading around the board a bit. I've seen mention of Savinellis requiring a filter, or adapter if not using a filter. Is either truly required? Being a pipe newbie is there some consideration that would behoove me to acquire them?

No, you can smoke a filter pipe just fine without either a filter or the adapter tube. You might find you like it even better that way.

I do have to say, though, you may get a little moisture build-up with a filterless filter pipe, due to the airway being suddenly open between two "bottlenecks." It isn't always the case, but with the few filter pipes I have (aside from cobs) I've had to adapt to how they smoke best. You'll figure it out, though. 8)

I have Winslow pipes that can take a 9mm filter and Savinelli's that can take a 6mm filter. I have never used them and I love they way they smoke with the wide open draw. I would recommend not using a filter but that is just me.

Thank you all for replying. Looks like I'm good how I am now then. Wow...I got lucky for once. :bounce:

I use the adapter tubes in my Savinellis.
The idea is to maintain a consistent air flow.
Why not? Not like they're any extra work.

I found the 9mm filter "blanks" that go in filter pipes to be only marginally effective, until I removed them and almost every time flung brown liquid everywhere. The places that stuff could hide! Leaving them in place disallowed air flow and it was the only time my pipes ever got sour here in the desert.

I found it far easier to just smoke 'em without the filters, even if that meant learning what it took during smoking.

8)

I actually like the balsa wood filters, especially when smoking aromatics. That balsa wood is like a sponge and it soaks up all the excess moisture. You just have to make sure to remove the filter and let it dry outside of the pipe otherwise it will get a bit sour. So, I am a fan of the balsa wood!

Two of my Savs have the balsa filter I just throw the filter out when im done smoking for the day.I also clean out the part of the stem that holds the filter with a folded cleaner and some everclear.

I have 8 Sav's, 6 that use the 6mm balsa filters and I have never used 'em and NEVER had any draw or moisture problems with ANY of them. They just smoked as normal for me. I've never really smoked a pipe with a filter or stinger in it and don't really see the need for 'em :p

Kyle Weiss":9ke5qps1 said:
I found the 9mm filter "blanks" that go in filter pipes to be only marginally effective, until I removed them and almost every time flung brown liquid everywhere.
That's because of those goopy-ass Aromatics you smoke! :mrgreen:

Savinelli is the first pipe I owned that had a filter system. Tried with filter, with adaptor and none. I have to say that the balsa filter system is pretty darn awesome. No goop traveling up the stem by accident. Change the filter every 3-4 bowls. Keep a pack of balsa filters in with my pipe cleaners and strategically keep a pack in my backpack, car, home and work.

I'm a Sav fan, and I've smoked 'em with the balsa filters, with adaptor only and went bare. If I didn't know which configuration I was smoking, I probably couldn't tell you from the smoking experience. I doubt it does any damage to the pipe to discard the filter. On the other hand, the variables of smoking style and goopiness of tobacco could make a differnce for individual smokers.

Here's a funny Sav filter experience -- I was being seriously called by a Sav Artisan on a Web site and phoned to ask if the pipe passed the pipe cleaner test. "Unfortunately, no," came the answer. I was in a serious quandry -- a straight pipe that cost that much had no excuse for stopping a cleaner. ButI was so smtten that I made my first ever exception. Something was just saying, "Go for it." When the pipe arrived I tried the test myself. The cleaner stopped. Hmmm, it stopped right by the spot the filter would end. I took out the stem -- yep, the filter was in it! -- took out the filter, reassembled ... and the cleaner slipped right through, no problem :) I think there must be some left brain / right brain moral to this.

Guys, I tried a few bowls without a filter or adapter (neither of which I own att) and I did get some feeling of slimy substance down the throat. I've got some Sav filters on order. I'll try them for the helluvit. If it cuts out that slime feeling I'll stick with them. :)

I just started breaking-in a new Sav.

I didn't like the balsa filters, so I tried the adapter, and wound up picking little flecks off my tongue.

I ended up cutting Medico filters in half. They fit fine, poke out freely when cleaning, and provide just enough interference to keep the li'l critters at bay.

YMMV.

I'm just reading this thread - its very relevant to me as I received my first filter enabled Savinelli pipe yesterday.

I put two bowls through the Sav 320 yesterday and used the balsa filter both times. I think I'm naturally biased against the idea of filters so I wanted to give them a fair chance!
:lol!:

This forum really proves to be a valuable resource when you are able to gather the experience of other brothers on issues such as this.

Fraternally

Jers

I've smoked Sav's that used the 6mm balsa filter WITHOUT them OR the adaptor for over 30 years now and have had no discernable problems. It all depends on HOW you smoke and WHAT you smoke in 'em :p

I opened a tin of FMOTB last week in anticipation of heading to the beach this last weekend. At the last minute I decided to take Mixture #1 as well. I opened that tin at the beach.

In my Tom Spanu 2001 pipe, no filter, I got the wet surprise from the Mixture #1 that was not very pleasant. So I figure this was the perfect time to see what the balsa filter can do in the Savinelli 615. Both pipes are half-bent but the Savinelli is a deeper bowl and can hold slight more tobac.

The result? No surprise spit from smoking the Savinelli with the balsa filter. My take away? If you have a fresh tin, best to smoke with the balsa filter to avoid the gurgle surprise. I have to say this has become my favorite pipe these days. I think this illustrates why.

I've got at least two Savs that fit the balsa filters or use the adapter or in which one can use nothing at all.

For no good reason I've always made sure I put the adapter in. I'm not interested in the filters (I want to run a pipe cleaner through mid-bowl or more if I wish) and I put the adapter in because I tend instinctively to want to smoke a pipe as it was designed to be smoked; the adapter keeps the air channel uniform, in theory, under the argument that that reduces the turbulance in the air stream and thus the condensation that accumulates around edges. Also reducing the wider reservoir space for the condensed moisture to collect and be harder for a skinny standard pipe cleaner to collect.

One of these days I'll try out a balsa filter just to see how the experience goes. Can't hurt and I might like it.