Savinelli De Luxe Milano 622KS Restoration

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Piffyr

Reaction score
When this beautiful Italian pot came it to me for a little spiffying, it was already in good condition. There were some areas of heavy scratching and the neon pink putty fills (I hate that stuff) had shrunk and dimpled, but not much other than that. I knew that I wanted to do something about the fills, but one of them sat right on top of the stamping and part of it even dropped down between the uprights (ascenders?) of the "N" in "SAVINELLI".

Here's the pipe on arrival:

a-%252520savdlm622ks001.JPG

a-%252520savdlm622ks002.JPG

a-%252520savdlm622ks003.JPG

a-%252520savdlm622ks005.JPG

I considered leaving the fill near the stamping alone, but I just couldn't. I felt that it detracted from the overall look of the pipe too much. So, with a lot of care, I picked out the old putty and refilled it with a mixture of briar shavings and CA. Here are a few photos of the progress:

savfill.jpg

You'll obviously notice the mottled appearance of the patch. That's because the photos were taken before refinishing and my patch method is to use a combination of briar dust and larger briar particles. The dust gives the patch some body to prevent it from shrinking. The larger particles (the lighter areas in the photo) will sand will provide exposed surfaces that accept stain. The final patch is darker than the surrounding wood, but the stained particles blend it a little. In any case, I think it looks way better than the pink stuff.

Here's the finished pipe (apologies for the glare and reflections; I'm still trying to figure out this pipe photography thing):

xx_savdlm622ks001.JPG

xx_savdlm622ks002.JPG

xx_savdlm622ks003.JPG

xx_savdlm622ks004.JPG

More like a rebirth. If the pipe was "restored," it was restored to a greater state than the manufacturer ever intended for it. Nice work. Really, really nice work.

Thanks for the kind words, guys. I am most content when I have an abused pipe on the bench.

Another beautiful job! That fill near the stamping is very well done indeed. How did you manage to avoid the stamping while levelling the fill? It's like some sort of microsurgery!

ontariopiper":oa75ggfc said:
Another beautiful job! That fill near the stamping is very well done indeed. How did you manage to avoid the stamping while levelling the fill? It's like some sort of microsurgery!
Thank you, ontariopiper. Microsurgery, indeed! There was no real trick to working around the stamping (I wish there was), except that the patch was under magnification and I worked very, very careful. I had to take a smoke break after that one, because me eyes and fingers were fatigued.