Savinelli "Private label"?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

APKurt

Reaction score
I was browsing the pipe counter at my local B&M and I came across a Savinelli that had the shop's name engraved on the bottom. It had tan rusticated finish and the stem was brow and translucent. I inquired about the pipe and the clerk said it was a "pipe of the year" and shops could get them with their name engraved on them. I bumped around on the internet and I think maybe the clerk meant to call it "private label" not "pipe of the year".

Does anyone here know anything about these? Are they decent quality Savinellis or bottom of the barrel? I though it was a pretty nice looking pipe and they wanted $85 for it. I have tried to find images of the same pipe on google but I can't. The color of the briar and stem look like this:

http://pipesmagazine.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/album/4632/index-600x295.jpg

The shape and rustication looked like this (no silver ring):

http://img.pipesandcigars.com/p/500/pm/p/pm-psvtv-607ks-r.png

And the stem was translucent like this:

http://www.pipes.ws/sites/default/files/styles/galleryformatter_slide/public/foto/savinelli-orient-315-rustic-2.jpg?itok=TnTZmSTz

Thanks in advance for your help!

These types of pipes are carried throughout the world as shops get their brands stamped on them. To the shop, they are indeed their pipes of the year, but what pipe their brand is stamped on is the choice of the shop. A local B&M in Lexington, KY that I used to attend had their brand stamped on Savinelli's Orient series.

I would say the pipe is probably alright quality for what it is. It's definitely above a barrel pipe. It is hard for me to tell you much more because I have not seen the pipe, but shops that do this typically pick a pipe that runs about $70-90 (even online).

joshoowah":dqvrlzql said:
These types of pipes are carried throughout the world as shops get their brands stamped on them.  To the shop, they are indeed their pipes of the year, but what pipe their brand is stamped on is the choice of the shop.  A local B&M in Lexington, KY that I used to attend had their brand stamped on Savinelli's Orient series.

I would say the pipe is probably alright quality for what it is.  It's definitely above a barrel pipe.  It is hard for me to tell you much more because I have not seen the pipe, but shops that do this typically pick a pipe that runs about $70-90 (even online).
I see. Thanks for your help. The pipe I saw looks pretty nice and seemed to be decent value for the money. I could not find the same pipe online so it got me wondering about it. I don't mind shopping online but I like to support my local B&M whenever possible so I will probably pull the trigger. I will post pictures if I get it.

I love Savinelli pipes and have 14 at present. You can't go wrong with a Sav as far as I'm concerned, even the low price ones are decent pipes. I have a Trevi 320KS which was only $52.00 from smokingpipes.com. and it's one of my favourites.

The reason why I'm telling you this is for you to check whether you can't buy something a bit higher up the ranks from smokingpipes.com (or maybe another vendor) for the same kind of money.

The pipe you show looks a lot like a Trevi to me!

I bought a Savinelli Oscar Aries straight bulldog pipe at an Old Virginia Tobacco Company store. Normally the Oscar pipe would have that Savinelli shooting star looking stamp on the stem but since it was produced for this B&M it had their sailing ship logo stamped on the stem there. The shank had all the standard Savinelli nomenclature but also was stamped O.V.T.C. (for the store) and APPOMATTOX ( as though this was the shape or series).  This pipe would be identical to Savinelli's own branded version of the same pipe imo.

juanmedusa":c6ylh5gx said:
I bought a Savinelli Oscar Aries straight bulldog pipe  This pipe would be identical to Savinelli's own branded version of the same pipe imo.
Oh yes, I agree but maybe the additional stamping added to the price? I'm just wondering.

SpeedyPete":1wwiwcn6 said:
juanmedusa":1wwiwcn6 said:
I bought a Savinelli Oscar Aries straight bulldog pipe   This pipe would be identical to Savinelli's own branded version of the same pipe imo.
Oh yes, I agree but maybe the additional stamping added to the price? I'm just wondering.
Well, I don't know if the stamping adds to the price but purchasing in a B&M instead of online most likely does. But I think it's important to do it every once in awhile. I don't make it to the shop where I bought the mentioned pipe but being a shop pipe it reminds me of a place and time and old smoking pals in a way that an online purchase probably won't. Either way, love my Sav's.

I know what you mean about paying higher prices at B&M vs. online. I always worry a bit about whether I'm getting ripped off when I can't compare prices online. That's why I wanted to track this pipe down online. I find it interesting that I have had this experience a few times already where I see a pipe I like on the shelves and I cannot find the same pipe online. My google-fu is usually pretty strong so I wonder if this is just the nature of briar pipes.

When I have found the equivalent pipe online and checked the prices at my local B&M they seem to be in the ballpark. Maybe they're $5-10 more at the shop but that washes out if I'm not paying shipping.

Also, I have found a few incredible deals in the past at local shops. I once picked up a bottle of 32 year old cask-strength Oban scotch for $40! Those retail for >$500 online. I still have the bottle with the price sticker still on it.

So my thoughts with this pipe were that I might be dealing with one of two scenarios: 1) its a gussied up cheap pipe where they put a fancy stem and logo on a piece of mediocre briar in which case I'd be paying too much; or 2) it's a true limited edition "pipe of the year" in which case I could be getting a steal.

It sounds like this could be a situation where neither of these scenarios is correct and this is probably just a mid-range pipe for a mid-range price.

APKurt":en11j6aw said:
I know what you mean about paying higher prices at B&M vs. online.  I always worry a bit about whether I'm getting ripped off when I can't compare prices online.  That's why I wanted to track this pipe down online.  
This is why I like to buy estate pipes from eBay.  I've received an OLD Parker 'dog today for which I've paid $9.99.  I had a job, cleaning it because the previous owner clearly NEVER cleaned it. I had to use a drill bit to clean the shank  :evil: 

But I finally got it smokable and it goes like champ  :bounce: 

I'm a happy chappie tonight. No rip off in this case.

Actually, I have another one. A Savinelli Mélange 621 (underrated shape imo). It has a standard Savinelli mark on the stem and standard nomenclature on the shank. It simply has the additional OVTC Stamp and Ovtc's series stamp.