Savinelli Question: Roma vs Oscar Lucite

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whiderwarde

Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a Sav shape 207 (straight apple). I've been swept away by the shape.
I'm looking at a Roma and an Oscar Lucite, both in my price range.
Can anyone tell me anything about either of these series? Obviously the Roma is rustic and the Oscar is smooth. I've also discovered that the Oscar is standard unfiltered. Does anyone have an experience with unfiltered Savs? And what about the Roma. It seems like a popular series, how does it smoke?
Thanks for your help. As you can see I like to make informed decisions. If anyone's interested, I plan to smoke Rattray VAs in this pipe, as they are fast becoming my tobacco of choice.

I have a couple of Oscars and several Romas -- all smoke brilliantly. In my opinion, Savinellis are hard to beat in terms of "bang for buck." By the way, Savinelli Romas are convertibles; that is, you can use them with or without filter (usually, they ship with a converter). If you like the shape, go for it. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

The finish would be a matter of taste (with fills likely in either).

What would settle it for me would be the lucite stem. Unlike vulcanite, lucite stems never "taste like stem." The same tobacco through a lucite stem (IMHO) tastes so much cleaner and clearer there's no comparison -- so much so that many of my old ones are lucite re-stemmed (and airway tuned) by LL. (Ironically enough, being a traditionalist, LL himself prefers vulcanite. De gustibus non diputandem)

(The taste difference is most pronounced after years of use, which I expect you're looking forward to either way).

FWIW

:face:

I have quite a few Savs - there is not a single bad smoker among them. As for fills, don't worry about it. Any pipe in that price range will have fills. The point is, on Savs, the fills tend to be small and inconspicuous.

I think the Roma series is one of Sav's most attractive. Also I believe the Lucite stems are thicker and not as good for 'clenching'. Personally I would go for the Roma. That's just me...

I have a Roma Lucite and really enjoy it. I have no problem clenching the stem and it smokes very very well. (its one of my favorites).

The Roma is a filtered pipe taking the 6mm balsa filters, which I happen to like ( I know I'm in the minority on this one).

The bowl stays cool and the pipe smokes fairly dry for me. I'd recommend it.