Savinelli question

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lysander

Reaction score
I want a Savinelli 320 (author) pipe. It wouldn't do for all my pipes to be as bulky or heavy, but I want just one. For my taste, it's the most handsome shape out there. My question is, what are the differences between a 320 KS and a 320 EX? Size? KS and EX abbreviations for what? Within the extensive Savinelli line, is there a model I should seek or avoid?

The bowls/chambers are bigger - check the dimension between the KS and EX 320s on P&C or a similar site that lists dimensions.

I can get an hour pretty easy out of my 320KS's when I'm driving.

Savinelli's KS designation has usually meant "king size" with most of these pipes being aeound a Dunhill grp 4/5 in overal sizing. The EX stands for 'extrordinaire" and these are usually substantially bigger both in overal pipe size and bowl capacity. An example would be the Hercules series which are ONLY offered in the EX sizing compared to the Baronet series ( both are rusticated finished pipes) which offer the SAME shapes only many are in the KS size. Most of the EX pipes are BIG standard shapes generally. Either way, they are ALL EXCELENT smoking pipes !! :twisted: :twisted:

I had the same question when I bought mine. I don't remember who I bought it from but there KS & EX designation was different than Savelli's. So you might want to use due diligent s and make sure of what your getting.

monbla256":1ibto4mv said:
Savinelli's KS designation has usually meant "king size" with most of these pipes being aeound a Dunhill grp 4/5 in overal sizing. The EX stands for 'extrordinaire" and these are usually substantially bigger both in overal pipe size and bowl capacity. An example would be the Hercules series which are ONLY offered in the EX sizing compared to the Baronet series ( both are rusticated finished pipes) which offer the SAME shapes only many are in the KS size. Most of the EX pipes are BIG standard shapes generally. Either way, they are ALL EXCELENT smoking pipes !! :twisted: :twisted:
I have the Oscar Lucite 604 KS and the Hercules 604 EX. So, another example of what you are mentioning.

I have a Punto Oro EX, and it's a fairly big bowl. Can easily get 1.5 hrs out of it if I load it up all the way. Lovely pipe.

Also, many of the 320's are 6mm filter pipes. Be sure to check to see if the one you want has this feature. Mine doesn't.

Cheers,

RR

I'd prefer all my Savinelli's be without filter but I've got enough with them that I'm accustomed. I've got adapters just waiting for pipes to go in. It's not a deal breaker for me.

Lysander":o3cokkuc said:
I was pleased to win this one on ebay. Getting the Punto Oro grade was a bonus...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111631296171?
_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Very nice. I don't think that pipe has been smoked much, if at all. Looks like somebody's NOS. Except for my having a Leonardo da Vinci 3-sail* that looks amazingly similar, I would have bid on it.

* I don't know anything about the marque either, other than it being pretty decent.

That's one FINE looking pipe for sure !! Considering that the Punto series is just below the Guibleo 'd Oro seris, probably the FINEST standard factory made pipe on the market today you got a FINE High Grade !! I've 6 Punto's and would ALWAYS buy a new one over ANY that the White Spot ( the former Dunhill brand) makes and sells today !! :twisted: :twisted:

Lysander":yc7omwas said:
I was pleased to win this one on ebay. Getting the Punto Oro grade was a bonus...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111631296171?
_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Tobaccopipes.com are selling them as a special @....................R356.80

You've done well, sir! Congratulations :cheers:

I have 8 Punto Oro and all of them are excellent smokers.

Brewdude":lgykec9g said:
juanmedusa":lgykec9g said:
Nice. But it does take a 6mm filter. Here's one that doesn't-

http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/savinelli/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=166895

Cheers,

RR
I have eyeballed this pipe for quite a while. Congrats on your new purchase sir! I hope you get many great smokes out of her!

The only Savinelli I own that I haven't got rid of is a 320 KS, I wouldn't say it's a King Size bowl.
Maybe by there standards but, it's only a 7/8" bowl and it tappers to the bottom.  A lot smaller the preceived. It's a real good smoker, I was impressed because the other Sav's I had literally sucked.