Savinelli Unfinished...(now with pics :) )

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fight'n Hampsters

Reaction score
Bought one on Pipes&Cigars the other day.  Great Smoker!  I just started breaking it in with Stormfront and I am pleased.  I have several Savinellis and have not been disappointed.

I recommend them for anyone looking for a good quality $50 pipe.  Make sure you are ok with some fills though.

1391369d1392902839-best-panerai-homage-part-3-useless_without.jpg

:lol!: 

Cheers,

RR

Below you can see some of the fills

This one shows a little unfilled pit

I knew these pipes would have this imperfections but I love the look of the natural look.  The wood is also lighter than shown.

The inside of the bowl is also free of any coating, so I imagine it will take a little longer to break in than a pre-coated pipe. It already smokes well so it can only get better!

I've seen these and often thought I should purchase one just to finish it in a nice stain and wax'er up to see what I can come up with.

Still a good looking pipe IMO. I'm sure it smokes good and at the end of the day that's what matters most

Those pipes eventually look cool if you smoke them long enough. And I'm not so sure a coated bowl ever breaks in, unless you first remove the coating.

[Strike the last sentence; I don't want to start anything.  :lol: ]

Richard Burley":2ckoywek said:
Those pipes eventually look cool if you smoke them long enough.  And I'm not so sure a coated bowl ever breaks in, unless you first remove the coating.

[Strike the last sentence; I don't want to start anything.    ]
I hate the coatings and remove it completely before I start smoking the pipe.

Hiram-2011":uu6w0wgx said:
Still a good looking pipe IMO.  I'm sure it smokes good and at the end of the day that's what matters most
I agree completely. Just finished a refinish/rustication on an estate Medico ("Makin a Medico mo' beta'" in DIY), and it looks much better, but it's not stained and I don't care because it smokes fine and I'm not trying to resell it.

SpeedyPete":ja4cfx6x said:
Richard Burley":ja4cfx6x said:
Those pipes eventually look cool if you smoke them long enough.  And I'm not so sure a coated bowl ever breaks in, unless you first remove the coating.

[Strike the last sentence; I don't want to start anything.    ]
I hate the coatings and remove it completely before I start smoking the pipe.
I am starting to come around to this POV.

Congrats on the purchase! I'm glad to hear she's a good smoker as well. I'm currently considering pipcking up an unfinished Sav as the price is hard to beat. I do have one question though, is a special heat resistant varnish or stain required, or can you use a hardware store variety fiinish?

Dottie Warden":mcuk0wq3 said:
Congrats on the purchase! I'm glad to hear she's a good smoker as well. I'm currently considering pipcking up an unfinished Sav as the price is hard to beat. I do have one question though, is a special heat resistant varnish or stain required, or can you use a hardware store variety fiinish?
not sure, I am going to leave it unfinished.

Fight'n Hampsters":jb6h6zv3 said:
Dottie Warden":jb6h6zv3 said:
not sure, I am going to leave it unfinished.
Yes, that's the way! Smoking and handling the pipe will do the rest. It's gonna turn out one beautiful beast.

I have a 25 year old unfinished/unstained pipe that I bought new way back when. It really has gotten dark over time with just regular use. Also, if you lacquer it or coat it with anything other than just a stain, it can cause the pipe to get hot. Leave it bare, says me.

Dottie Warden":pwq9way1 said:
Varnish or lacquer are NO-NO's  :twisted:  Just a stain if more color is wanted and wax only! Time and smoking will do the best !! :twisted: