Savinelli's... filter, adapter, or nothing at all?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Nate

Reaction score
I have a great Sav Roma 677ks. This pipe doesn't owe me a dime and I've been smoking it for 3 years without a filter, no 6mm blank/adapter and it's been great... for some reason I bought little 6mm adapters and I hate the way it smokes now. Smokes wet, seems to lose the flavor... maybe my mind is playing tricks on me, but I finally gave up and took it out tonight and it delivered a great smoke loaded with some Anniversary Kake...

Just wondering how others smoke their Savinelli pipes?

I don't own any Savinelli 6mm dry system pipes, but I do own a few Vauen 9mm pipes and they smoke great w/o filters or adapters. I am always careful to swab the filter chamber out with a Q-tip afterwards but the open draw is quite delightful.

Poor man's reverse calabash! Hahaha....

My second pipe, a humble Sav 316 rusticated, came with with triangular balsa filters. I tried these for a period of time, and came to the conclusion they weren't necessary.

I've been smoking it quite happily without the filters since '01 or so.

Cheers,

RR

I've had (and still have) several balsa filter pipes. Every one, to a pipe, has smoked better without the plastic insert. I never got into the balsa filters, mostly because you can't get a pipe cleaner in there should the draught hole get plugged up.

I'll add to the chorus. That mini-reverse calabash effect seems real, in the few pipes I have with the filter feature. Not only do they smoke better sans filter or adapter, I am starting to believe they smoke better than a pipe with a regular mortise/tenon construction. I just don't have any problems with them at all. Draw too open? Just tamp the tobacco a little firmer.

Richard Burley":txcuja55 said:
I just don't have any problems with them at all. Draw too open? Just tamp the tobacco a little firmer.
Way to go :D

I have a lot of 6mm and 9mm filter pipes, mostly Savinelli but some others too.  I've never used filters or adators and none of my pipes was hurt, ever.

I have some Savinelli pipes, some of them have been smoked in the past with the factory Δ balsa filter and latter by my home made balsa.Some of them from 6mm modified in 9mm. I don't like the plastic adapter of the non-filter smoking.

Yeah, I don't use the filters either... tried them a while back but no, prefer it without filters and without the little adapter

Normally, no filter and no adapter. However, once in a while the filter will help tame a blend a bit.

I have filters that came with the pipes years ago, and haven't finished even one bundle yet.

I hardly ever use the Sav filter, except occasionally in a cob?  I don't see that the spacer adds anything, so I set it aside, too. I've occasionally found the the Sav 6mm spacer is about one silly millimeter too long for the space.  I've found that a bit of tobacco can come out of the bowl, travel up the airway, and get stuck between the balsa filter and the air passage wall. Since the smoker can't reach it with a cleaner, I have to let the pipe cool, disassemble, clean, reassemble and start again. Kinda frustrating for someone who smokes a pipe for its tranquilizing Magic.

KevinM":clhjaklr said:
I hardly ever use the Sav filter, except occasionally in a cob?  I don't see that the spacer adds anything, so I set it aside, too. I've occasionally found the the Sav 6mm spacer is about one silly millimeter too long for the space.  I've found that a bit of tobacco can come out of the bowl, travel up the airway, and get stuck between the balsa filter and the air passage wall. Since the smoker can't reach it with a cleaner, I have to let the pipe cool, disassemble, clean, reassemble and start again. Kinda frustrating for someone who smokes a pipe for its tranquilizing Magic.
Yes!

On my filter savs I never use the adaptor. Sometimes I use a filter. Generally can't tell much of a difference but they all smoke well.

I agree with bemused; more often no filter and no adapter - have a few Savs and they are great smokers and a great value....

ftrplt":zlptih6p said:
No filters!!! Period!! :evil: :cheers: FTRPLT
Ditto, although I do use an adapter in my 9mm filters. I find it helps guide a cleaner down into the bowl should the need arise.