Scale Model Building

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smokey-smokey

Reaction score
Any fellow pipers build scale models?

I have a stressful job and was in dire need of a hobby to take the edge off a long day. I love music and collect vinyl records and cd's, I have a 125 gallon fishtank, and these are hobbies I enjoy, but they don't provide me with a steady flow of "something to do" and I like to work with my hands.

I decided to try my hand at scale model building and recently completed my first model. I'm sure this looks like a monkey did it but, considering it is my first one, I'm pretty happy with the results. Plus, I had a fun and relaxing time. I think this model building thing suits me just fine and I should be able to get better with practice. Afterall, those really awesome models you see in magazines are made by people who have 10+ years experience.

If you are into this hobby let me know, maybe even post some pictures of your models and tell me what you did.

The pictures below are my first model. It is a WWII vehicle in 1/72 scale. I built it out of the box and only added straps for the sleeping bags and antennae. Made mud with chalk and thinner.

4_zps9cb61f61.jpg

5_zps56146dba.jpg

Looks pretty darn good sir. As a much younger man I built model cars and airplanes and really loved it. Later in life I started HO model railroading and was doing high detail on the engines and rolling stock. I amassed quite a bit but, had to move because of medical reasons and found no room for it any longer and sold it all. Today I have that feeling most get when they sell off prize possessions and then realize they'll never be able to replace them or the joy they once gave you. Sorry but I haven't any photo's, just memories.  

Cartaphilus":w8c0ra4a said:
Looks pretty darn good sir. As a much younger man I built model cars and airplanes and really loved it. Later in life I started HO model railroading and was doing high detail on the engines and rolling stock. I amassed quite a bit but, had to move because of medical reasons and found no room for it any longer and sold it all. Today I have that feeling most get when they sell off prize possessions and then realize they'll never be able to replace them or the joy they once gave you. Sorry but I haven't any photo's, just memories.  
Thank you, and nice glasses!

I have been tempted to make an N Scale train layout, maybe down the road.

Have you thought about going back to cars and airplanes? A roomy table, a couple of small tool boxes (maybe an extra shelf) and a balcony to spray is all the space you need.

Believe it or not I still have a few model cars and airplanes to be built unopened in there boxes. One is a 59 Caddy that some day I'll find the time for. Right now my pipe restoring and pipe rack building keeps me as busy as I can be or want to be right now. That and my little shop has only room for no many then two projects at a time sadly. :(

Cartaphilus":79lqhxwb said:
Believe it or not I still have a few model cars and airplanes to be built unopened in there boxes. One is a 59 Caddy that some day I'll find the time for. Right now my pipe restoring and pipe rack building keeps me as busy as I can be or want to be right now. That and my little shop has only room for no many then two projects at a time sadly. :(
There is so much to do, so many models and modeling subjects, so much to learn that a guy can go crazy.

Right now I am working on a larger tank, 1/35 scale, that will keep be busy for at least a couple of months. Once completed I might try my hand with a model car, I really like classic American cars so we'll see. That, and I want to learn how to paint the military figurines realistically.

Whenever you find the time for that caddy post some pictures

Yes, there are so many different techniques to get different affects and extra parts you can purchase depending on the scale. With the model trains I was putting air lines, grab irons, lights, etc. and using more realistic couplers then the kits come with, that and I too was experimenting with replicating the soil and grunge they get on them in real life. Not to mention the layout modeling of trees and landscape that goes with it. I could spend a whole day with it and not even know it till the old woman would stick her head out in the garage to yell dinner time.
As for the Caddy.....well don't hold your breath, it may be awhile longer. ;)

Looks really good. On a different note I just read an article about an amazing and surprising model railroader and model builder being the very famous Rod Stewart. You can google image search for some pics of his work and it'll blow your mind. Well, at least it did mine. I think he's got a set he calls Three Rivers City. It's amazing.

Nice piece of work Smokey, very nice! I used to work in the Exhibits Dept at a Museum of Natural History and we built dioramas of animals a sort of model building !! :twisted: :twisted: