SCAM ALERT!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just got home and there was a vm waiting for me. Playing it back, it was a computer generated voice claiming to be from my Health Ins carrier (Aetna). It went on to say that I needed to call a toll free number and then enter a special pin number. Both numbers were repeated to me on the vm, and it said to call asap but did not explain why or give any other reasons.

Being the suspicious type, I then called Aetna from the number on the back of my membership card and got a CS rep on the phone. I related this story and told her that I wanted to verify the authenticity of the vm I got.

She put me on hold for a minute and came back and told me that Aetna was looking into this already as it had been reported by others, and that I was not to call that number on the vm or put in the pin they provided.

She didn't flat out tell me that Aetna was not the originator of the vm, but it certainly looks like it to me at this point.

I've heard of these type of scams, and by calling a particular # one gets charged some enormous fee for a ficticious phone call halfway around the world or some such.

So beware if you get one of these.

This has been a friendly PS announcement.

Cheers,

RR

Got one yesterday also but, being the cantankerous hermit that I am I just hung up on it the minute I didn't recognize them. We don't do phone sales, beggars, etc. of any type, if your not kin or friend, I hang up, period.

I ought to call up Ron and pretend to be a beggar looking for a tobacco handout.  "Can you spare a bowl of baccy for a poor fella?  TAD and PAD got the better of me and my shipments haven't arrived yet."  :twisted:

Wait.... erm.. well.... I guess that does kinda describe anyone on this forum.  :lol!: :lol!:

BTW, Thanks for the PS announcement, RR.

Funny. I just got a vm from the IRS saying that I am being audited and that my physical address is under warrant (whatever that means). They also left a phone number to call back. All done in heavy Indian accent. I don't want to profile, but... Well... I won't be calling that number back.

Sometime ago I also got a call from Microsoft saying there was something wrong with my home computer. Unfortunately (for them), all my home computers are Macs. :)

d4klutz":jx7lp879 said:
I ought to call up Ron and pretend to be a beggar looking for a tobacco handout.  "Can you spare a bowl of baccy for a poor fella?  TAD and PAD got the better of me and my shipments haven't arrived yet."  :twisted:

Wait.... erm.. well.... I guess that does kinda describe anyone on this forum.  :lol!: :lol!:

BTW, Thanks for the PS announcement, RR.  
Whats that? I can't hear ya with the receiver down.

Wet Dottle":rky7o9hq said:
Funny. I just got a vm from the IRS saying that I am being audited and that my physical address is under warrant (whatever that means). They also left a phone number to call back. All done in heavy Indian accent. I don't want to profile, but... Well... I won't be calling that number back.

Sometime ago I also got a call from Microsoft saying there was something wrong with my home computer. Unfortunately (for them), all my home computers are Macs. :)
But of course MS would think your MAC computers were wrong...Funny.

d4klutz":x6d8nw9c said:
 "Can you spare a bowl of baccy for a poor fella? 
You will laugh, but I give tobacco to folks that come by the office and ask for it. There is a local blend at the RYO shop that is very similar to PS Amsterdam (which I like). It is almost $1 an ounce if you buy it a 1/2 lb at a time. I keep some in the desk drawer, and I smoke it in the office myself sometimes. As an advantage it works well in pipes and is really sold for rolling papers, so it is one of those dual purpose blends.

This practice might be a little unusual for some pastors/churches, but we comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable. I figure the homeless guys and people on hard times can have a smoke on me.

Wet Dottle":o5nm27qw said:
I got that call a few weeks ago.  I told them I'm a linux  user and os programmer and got them to hang up on me :lol:

Got a call on the MS scam. Said that I was sorry about how my computer was a danger to the internet. Then I started talking about how much I liked those kitty cat videos. He hung up on me after a couple of minutes. Sometimes it is good to be retired and bored...

Thanks Rande! The lengths these pinheads will go to never ceases to amaze me. At least twice a month I get contacted by the "FBI" to straighten out some fictitious crap or other. Needless to say it all gets forwarded to the local FBI office for them to deal with.

I have aetna as well, and I have been arguing with them for almost a year trying to get approval for an MRI, I have also had trouble with their home RX, ya know the mail order pharmacy... and I can assure you that even if it was a REAL call from Aetna, and you called in like they ask of you , no matter who you get a hold of at Aetna they will have no clue what your talking about or why you are calling. they are by far the worst insurance company I have ever dealt with, we are starting to believe that they give you this "who, What" Where" Vinnie Barbarino act to confuse you in hopes you give up trying to deal with them