Scary life changes...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beardedbassguy

Reaction score
So I'm sure a lot of you have read just how "broke" I am in other threads on this forum.

Our financial situation has drastically gotten worse over the past few months, now to the point where some life changes have to be made.

It turns out the best option we have at the moment is to move cities. My wife, 3 month old son, and I  are moving to the Dallas/Ft. Worth area January first. Here in little old East Texas a guy with no college doesn't make a lot. And my wife (who has a degree) can't seem to find decent work. We are hoping the booming market in the Northern side of the DFW will help us find better careers and some stability.

We don't have jobs. We do however have a place to stay for a few months until we get settled. It just happens to be with my friend who got me into pipe smoking and his family. As a man, a husband, and a father, moving to another city with no income immediately scares the crap out of me, not to mention "mooching" off a friend, even if they are MORE than willing to have us. Also, I'm from a small town. Living in a big city, the suburbs... all that ... just isn't my style. But if it means a better future for my family, I am going to do it.

We do have some close friends and some family in the DFW area, so that's a plus.

Anyway, all this to say...

You guys here, and the pipe smoking community as a whole, have been incredible to me. You have given me pipes, more tobacco than I know what to do with, advice, and friendship.The last couple of months have been rough with the lack of funds, and the excruciating decision making process of where to lead my family. Through it all, you fine people have given me a sense of family, community, friendship... as well as the material things. Thank you guys. From the bottom of my heart. It's made the last season bearable. I hope to land on my feet in the next few months... and when I do, I will be looking to bless others here the way you all have blessed me.

Good luck brother. Sounds like you have a good support network.

Hey BBG. Well done for grasping life and choosing your own direction rather than floating on the tide. That takes courage and it seems you have it in spades. With your positive outlook and desire to change things for the better I'm sure things will only improve for you. I'll not wish you luck as I believe you've already begun to create your own. Go to it dude!

I know things will work out just fine for ya, keep the faith my friend.

You have a positive attitude James and that counts for a lot. Scary though it may be it certainly sounds like a great option for bettering yourself and your family.

Keep us informed on developments. You'll come through all this and find yourself thriving in no time.

Cheers,

RR

I moved to Georgia because of the job market 32 years ago. Everything worked out fine. Best of luck to you and yours. Life's not really all that scary, you just got to take it by the tail.

Push on brother I have no doubt that you and your family will be thriving in no time. Sure its scary but your priorities are right do what's best for the family.

Jim

James,

Best of luck & I am sure things will work out for you.

I went through something very similar years back. I grew up in the SF Bay Area, bought a house there, was making good money & things were fine. Then along came the House of Cards dotcom bust and my life and finances got blown up something good.

The best thing I ever did was get out of that ratrace hell hole they call Silicon Valley. It wasn't easy at first, & I miss a lot of things about living there, but in hind-sight I am much better off now and way less stressed out.

Sometimes unexpected change, despite the immediate jolt you get from it, brings forth good fortune.

James, we say many things are "manly", smoking a pipe, being handy with tools, working hard, smoking a pipe, etc. And while I don't disagree with any of these definitions, stepping up even when your scared $#!%less, and doing what ever you have to do to provide for and take care of your family..that imho is what it means to be a man. And you my friend are most certainly a man, and from all I've seen here, a very good man.
All the best.

Keep focused, keep your sense of humor and move ahead, you'll do fine, and best of luck along the way.

Thank you guys for all the kind words and encouragement.

Seriously, you guys are the BEST internet community i have ever been apart of. I'm glad to be here, and my time so far here has been a huge blessing to my life.