Scored some Penz

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deepbass9

Reaction score
I did some traveling last Thurs - Sun that left me out of touch. I came back to an email saying pipes & cigars had some tins of Penzance in stock. Needless to say, it was gone.

So when I got one from Iwin Ries yesterday, I pulled the trigger. Been smoking about a year now, so after hearing all the hype it'll be nice to give it a whirl. I resisted the urge to cheap out and only get one tin and got three to cellar. Guess it's not that big of a deal, but I'm looking forward to it.

Same here, If I can find it in stock at normal retail I'll get me some and see what the fuss is all about.

Been doing up a dozen brands 2oz at a time for the past month from reading posted recommendations.

Enjoy your tins when they arrive, John..

I tried Penzance a few months back. It was good, but it didn't stand out to me above other balkans...perhaps because of the hype. In situations like that, reality can never meet expectation. The same probably happened to me when I tried FVF. It couldn't hold a candle to my McClelland blends...mmm, like smoking brisket. :D

What are the thoughts on Peter Stokkebye Balkan Supreme,

I like it but it still bites half was down and then mellows again.

Thanks John.

Gotta say I was impressed. Tastes just like it smells, which I haven't often found. A very interesting blend that seems to stand a bit apart. I mean, Balkan Saseni and Margate seem very much in the same court, but in my limited experience I haven't tried anything that's in the same court as this.

May just be a haven't hit anything yet that was similar enough (I've had Northwoods, Saseni, Margate, Maltese Falcon, 965, EMP, Nightcap, Odyssey, Magnum Blend, FMOTT, and Chelsea AM). Still looking to try some C&D's and McCellands, so maybe one of their offerings is along the same lines.

Enjoyable, for sure. Looking forward to future aged trials.

deepbass9":7x37jrm9 said:
Gotta say I was impressed. Tastes just like it smells, which I haven't often found. A very interesting blend that seems to stand a bit apart. I mean, Balkan Saseni and Margate seem very much in the same court, but in my limited experience I haven't tried anything that's in the same court as this.

May just be a haven't hit anything yet that was similar enough (I've had Northwoods, Saseni, Margate, Maltese Falcon, 965, EMP, Nightcap, Odyssey, Magnum Blend, FMOTT, and Chelsea AM). Still looking to try some C&D's and McCellans, so maybe one of their offerings is along the same lines.

Enjoyable, for sure. Looking forward to future aged trials.
Agreed, Penzance is definitely in a class of its own and there isn't much out there that you can compare to it. The only blends I have had that have similar taste profiles are Smoker's Haven Krumble Kake and GLP Quiet Nights.

-Scott

I also just purchased a tin of Penz to see what all the fuss was about. And after three bowls in a Cob,and trying a few different packing methods I also can say (to me) it was not worth the hype that surrounds it. I thought it was a very mild,light tasting English blend. The other English blends that I tried had more going for them (flavor wise). So I'll let the tin rest for a while and give it another go after a month or so.
My not liking it, might be a good thing for your Penz ho's, more for you !!!

Storm_Crow":v11h3u27 said:
I tried Penzance a few months back. It was good, but it didn't stand out to me above other balkans...perhaps because of the hype. In situations like that, reality can never meet expectation. The same probably happened to me when I tried FVF. It couldn't hold a candle to my McClelland blends...mmm, like smoking brisket. :D
Same here. Nice smoke but not heads and shoulders above some other blends. Maybe I need to put some age on my stock.
Which McC blends are "brisket" flavored"?!!!! What a great way to lose weight. Instead of consuming a pound of BBQ bliss and taking in 1500-2000 calories, I can "smoke" it for an hour or so with no calories. Yippiieeee!

There's an 8oz bag of Penz that's been sitting on the shelf of the local Tinder Box for a few months. I've been eyeing it for a while, maybe I'll snag it if it's still there; I keep hearing good things.

WaydeG":6nlfr7db said:
Storm_Crow":6nlfr7db said:
Same here. Nice smoke but not heads and shoulders above some other blends. Maybe I need to put some age on my stock.
Which McC blends are "brisket" flavored"?!!!! What a great way to lose weight. Instead of consuming a pound of BBQ bliss and taking in 1500-2000 calories, I can "smoke" it for an hour or so with no calories. Yippiieeee!
Penzance is a funny blend. Most importantly, it smokes better, like many Lat blends, relatively dry The most recent production is still to wet to smoke without letting it dry out a little. All the hype misses the fact that is a very subtle blend. It is a perfect balance of quality ingredients. It is not a mind altering flavor odyssey that many Internet boards have built it up to be. It is a very good blend to help build a palate. There is a lot going on under the latakia, and it's interaction with sweet and sour orientals. Becuase of all the action, it can easily taste like a one note wonder if it is packed to tightly, or pressed to hard in the bowl. With all that being said, it is high on my personal list, but not because of it's strength. It's perfect for quiet fall nights in a smoking jacket when I can give it my full attention.

I've been away from the briar too long, and this may be kind of an obvious question since I've been out of it for a bit...

Is Penzance starting to get harder to come by? I just checked Cup o Joes and it's limiting to purchase of 1 tin per order... I went through bales of the stuff essentially when I was overseas. I'm guessing the resources are are drying up? That makes me a sad camper...

Anthony":0mz7ne42 said:
I've been away from the briar too long, and this may be kind of an obvious question since I've been out of it for a bit...

Is Penzance starting to get harder to come by? I just checked Cup o Joes and it's limiting to purchase of 1 tin per order... I went through bales of the stuff essentially when I was overseas. I'm guessing the resources are are drying up? That makes me a sad camper...
Yeah, it is definitely harder to come by these days! I think it is a combination of the resources drying up and the increased demand by customers. I have a motto for tobacco blends that I like. When I find something I like a lot, I buy a TON of it! Seriously though, hearing stories from the old-timers lamenting blends that are long gone makes me sad and definitely makes me want to prevent that from happening to me with my favorite blends.

-Scott

Finally pulled the trigger on a 2oz tin of Penzance, can't wait to take it for a spin.