Sealed Tins, To open or not to open

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onabullit

Reaction score
Hello Fellow Pipesters,

My question is this: Is it not a good idea to open a tin if you have so many open tobaccos to work through and is that tobacco better off remaining sealed if I think it would take me over a year to go through a pound?

How much "jar time" can you give an uncased virginia?

... I have obtained several aged tins that I am so anxious to try...
Samuel Gawiths Best Brown 1 lb box, 2 oz erinmore mixture and a half pound of Stonehaven being the main contenders here.
I already have 4 oz's of the stonehaven I bought in bulk so that can remained sealed indefinitely but I really want to get to the Best Brown flake.

my impatience led me to crack a 2002 Blackwoods even though I had a few bowls left on a fresh tin, 2002 was plenty moist though and went right into a mason jar.

gnome_mushroom_smoking_pipe_lg_nwm.gif

after reading some earlier posts I think I should probably take the 1lb SG Best Brown out of the box as I believe it is not sealed as good as a tin.
gnome_mushroom_smoking_pipe_lg_nwm.gif

Yep.

JarS (plural). Small ones with new lids (for good seals).

This so that opening one to smoke doesn't stop & reverse the aging process for the rest of it.

:face:

I buy the little 1/2 pint or jelly jars as there called 12 to case come in a cardboard case perfect for storing they hold 2oz. They are about $7.00 a case also buy some of the inner lids that have the little rubber seal a pack of 12 is about $1.50.