Seals for tobacco jars

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greenleaf

Reaction score
I have a pipe rack which came with a large tobacco jar on the platform. I bought the rack in sterling condition from a thrift store quite a while ago, but the jar's wooden lid has no seal.

So, can anyone tell me how or where to find a good seal whether makeshift or an actual seal. I'd like to use the jar for a personal blend I'm scheming up. And, since the solid wood lid may prevent me from testing any seal with water, just how airtight does it have to be? Thanks, gents.

You might try making your own using 100% silicone from the home center. I would only try this of both halves are glass, or if the lid is wood it is probably OK as well (YMMV).

Spray both halves with cooking spray (Pam) to act as a release agent. Then put a bead of silicone in the groove or wherever looks like a likely spot for the seal. Then press the lid to the jar and leave it to cure. When cured, you should be able to separate the lid from the jar without tearing the silicone, at which time you can remove the gasket, trim up the excess, and hopefully you will have a custom made seal.

I have made gaskets in this way before, they are not as tough as something commercially made but they can work OK.

There are lots of materials that are used for weather strips on houses and windows/doors etc. I can't imagine that you could find some stuff to attach to the wood that will make it seal good.

I will look and if I see something, will let you know. Maybe even some Teflon type stuff?

One other thing is if you are going to get into it a lot maybe consider keeping it not full and keeping a large mason jar that you can vacuum seal too??

What Hunter is saying may work too, but I would go through the building supplies first I think.

Skip

I have one of those racks with the glass jar and wooden top. You could just bag the baccy and put the bag in. If you go the silicone route don't use the stuff from the home stores because they contain anti-mildew chemicals. Get the stuff made for fish tanks, that should be food grade.

Thanks, y'all. I best get to work once I get paid. Such a shame to see that nice jar going to waste.

Seriously I would check the weather stripping and what all is available. I feel sure something will work. Maybe something coated with Teflon or something made from silicone so you don't have to try and make it.?

Skip

Right, Skip, makes good sense. Plus which I suck at making anything but my meals.

Even if you make it airtight the tobacco will still dry out.

Like Zero said, put it in a cellophane bag and tie it shut with a twist-tie or a clothespin. It's a lot easier than using those zip-lock bags. I keep mine in old 7 oz Sail cans with the screw-on lid.

Don't forget to put some kind of name tag on it.

ZeroContent":1h872gta said:
...If you go the silicone route don't use the stuff from the home stores because they contain anti-mildew chemicals. Get the stuff made for fish tanks, that should be food grade.
Nice tip!

Buddy

Buddy Springman":p7q9zx3f said:
ZeroContent":p7q9zx3f said:
...If you go the silicone route don't use the stuff from the home stores because they contain anti-mildew chemicals. Get the stuff made for fish tanks, that should be food grade.
Nice tip!

Buddy
Yea Agreed, good one, never thought of it in that way!!! :cheers: :cheers: