Seconds

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Milan

Reaction score
Doe anyone have any experience with seconds? I saw some Alec Bradley Tempus seconds advertised 20 sticks for $50. Seems like a pretty good deal? I've just never purchased seconds. I suppose the idea of seconds makes me think of college roommates and drunk chicks.
Cheers & Health,
Milan

Roly and JR Alternatives are about the only 'good' experiance I've had with seconds...

But with Padron 2000, Sancho Ponza, etc why would anyone want seconds?

puros_bran":uu55uxzj said:
Roly and JR Alternatives are about the only 'good' experiance I've had with seconds...

But with Padron 2000, Sancho Ponza, etc why would anyone want seconds?
You're right. I'd rather go with a good dependable cigar than to take a chance with a batch of seconds. It's that I like the AB Tempus and at 20 for $50 it's hard not to be tempted. The idea of seconds worries me though. I think I will personally skip on the seconds. Just curious as to other experiences. Thanks for the response puros.

Milan

Usually but not always it's blemish or rolling issues...

Some are designed from the get go to be seconds, usually wrapped in cellophane wrap on the very top shelf in th humidor.. run from these...lol

I've never had a Tempus..
i mostly do Padron, CAO, Excaliber, and Punch for statside smokes so I'm not a whole lot of help.

Seconds can be just about anything--and then there's the consistency problem. I just ordered a couple bundles of JR Alternatives. They've always been pretty good and as close as I want to get to seconds.

I'd ditto Richard.

When I started to smoke cigars seriously in college, Bundle cigars were an appealing alternative; you'd get a bum stick now and again -- plugged, flabby, sour -- but then they were 60 cents, which was good, since I usually had $1.20 in my pocket (and which dates me). But with the cigar craze of the nineties, I think a lot of crappy cigars got sold this way just to move them out the door. There are a lot of rogue brands in any case, or just bad ones (I once had a Madrigal that was only memorable for its sheer shittiness, and as Puro alluded to, Sancho Panzas are a low watermark IMHO) and seconds started to seriously suck, though I am sure there are probably still exceptions. JR Alternatives -- which is a euphemism -- seem to have some quality control, but I think a lot of cigars are more rightly labeled thirds, fourths, and fifths.

It's been said a million times, but life is too short to smoke bad cigars, particularly if it's a box of 'em. You can always hope pipe tobacco will get better, but a bad cigar will stink forever. :)