Secret Societies

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

More times than I can count on one hand, I've experienced something like this:
It's usually late at night, usually sipping on a bourbon or scotch while smoking a pipe or cigar at a friend or acquaintance's house. Then, the words, "I have a secret." Which follows the story of how they are in an elite secret society, usually the free masons.

Not that this bothers me, but it just doesn't make any sense to me. How is it a secret society if you choose to disclose this? I was reading an article that stated that what bothers most people about these is the secrecy, but I beg to differ, my friends. It's not secret; most wear rings with the insignia as well as bumper stickers.

In fact a member from the previous forum I belonged to not only disclosed his memberships in the said society, but started naming other forum members who were also in this society.

So I guess, I just don't get it. It's not a secret society because they are one drink away from disclosing it. So is it just an elite society? I guess I can never run for president...

No offense to an no-so-secret society members in the forum.

It's a secret circle jerk coming out of the closet :lol: I subscribe to the Groucho mindset for these sorts of groups - I'd never join a club that would have someone like me as a member :afro:

Puff Daddy":wt3afsa5 said:
It's a secret circle jerk coming out of the closet :lol: I subscribe to the Groucho mindset for these sorts of groups - I'd never join a club that would have someone like me as a member :afro:
I wouldn't join a club that would have someone like you as a member either.

Okay, alright already. I am actually a deep cover agent for the CIA. I lurk around online forums such as the BoB, patrolling for terrorists and other potential baddies. The work is grueling, the hours long, but in the end, it is worth it. By the way, my real name is Felicia and I smoke Virginia Slims.

Texas Outlaw":i5t8fcxw said:
More times than I can count on one hand, I've experienced something like this:
It's usually late at night, usually sipping on a bourbon or scotch while smoking a pipe or cigar at a friend or acquaintance's house. Then, the words, "I have a secret." Which follows the story of how they are in an elite secret society, usually the free masons.

Not that this bothers me, but it just doesn't make any sense to me. How is it a secret society if you choose to disclose this? I was reading an article that stated that what bothers most people about these is the secrecy, but I beg to differ, my friends. It's not secret; most wear rings with the insignia as well as bumper stickers.

In fact a member from the previous forum I belonged to not only disclosed his memberships in the said society, but started naming other forum members who were also in this society.

So I guess, I just don't get it. It's not a secret society because they are one drink away from disclosing it. So is it just an elite society? I guess I can never run for president...

No offense to an no-so-secret society members in the forum.
I think you need new friends. I am a Free Mason, and very proud of it, and that I will be the head of the Lodge this year. I do not come from a Free Mason family, or have been a party to any conspiracies. I am a Free Mason because of the good they do, and rarely seek credit for, and the pleasure I enjoy from being a Brother in the fraternity. If I may be so bold, anyone who discloses, secretly, cautiously, in confidence, that he is a member of a secret society as if he is under constant prosecution from, who or whatever, probably is not actually a Mason. The “Company line,” by the way, regarding secrets is that the only secret we keep is the modes or recognition or secret handshakes. Free Masonry is not a secret society, anymore than the Lion Club, Elks or Rotary Clubs.

Thats an outright lie Mac... I saw that movie where yall keep all these signs n stuff to hide the great golden city, the real statue of liberty, and the original authintic First can of Spam.... You aint foolin nobody!

puros_bran":6llyyenc said:
Thats an outright lie Mac... I saw that movie where yall keep all these signs n stuff to hide the great golden city, the real statue of liberty, and the original authintic First can of Spam.... You aint foolin nobody!

Well Puros, you are clearly somebody not nobody. The question to ask is, "is The Macdonald a plant to confuse the cowans, or a an innocent pawn?"

I will be happy to misinform you at a later date, regarding the present issue.

BTW, Bound by Secrecy is a great investment of your entertainment dollars.

Trout Bum":12ed21sv said:
Okay, alright already. I am actually a deep cover agent for the CIA. I lurk around online forums such as the BoB, patrolling for terrorists and other potential baddies. The work is grueling, the hours long, but in the end, it is worth it. By the way, my real name is Felicia and I smoke Virginia Slims.
Felicia, can I have my wig back?
Thanks,
TO

the macdonald":tamjzl32 said:
Texas Outlaw":tamjzl32 said:
, anyone who discloses, secretly, cautiously, in confidence, that he is a member of a secret society as if he is under constant prosecution from, who or whatever, probably is not actually a Mason.

Free Masonry is not a secret society, anymore than the Lion Club, Elks or Rotary Clubs.
Interesting post:

I understood the first section; basically, you are not a Mason because you just revealed yourself; however, by the second part, you would qualify as such because you are now saying it isnt a secret society.

I'm starting my own society: Big arms on the Border. But in my society, you don't have to invite people over for a drink to disclose it. you guys are all invited to join.

Let me induct you.

Flex your left bicep (the other left, dammit).

There, you are all Big Arm members. I guess we should get rings and bumper stickers now.

It could be a lot worse...Say a woman you found yourself very attracted to, after a few drinks, whispered, "You know, back when I was a Boy Scout....."! :affraid:

Texas Outlaw":4lb9226b said:
the macdonald":4lb9226b said:
Texas Outlaw":4lb9226b said:
, anyone who discloses, secretly, cautiously, in confidence, that he is a member of a secret society as if he is under constant prosecution from, who or whatever, probably is not actually a Mason.

Free Masonry is not a secret society, anymore than the Lion Club, Elks or Rotary Clubs.
Interesting post:

I understood the first section; basically, you are not a Mason because you just revealed yourself; however, by the second part, you would qualify as such because you are now saying it isnt a secret society.

I'm starting my own society: Big arms on the Border. But in my society, you don't have to invite people over for a drink to disclose it. you guys are all invited to join.

Let me induct you.

Flex your left bicep (the other left, dammit).

There, you are all Big Arm members. I guess we should get rings and bumper stickers now.
LOL, I think the Arm and Hammer logo is avalible.
What I was trying to say is Masons generally don't walk around paranoid like their dues cards are some deep dark secret, like your friends seem to be doing. They sound like they had one to many hours with the Alex Jones radio network. I don't wear a ring (because I am too cheap to buy one) but I have the badge on my car and talk about Masonry to anyone who has questions.

Texas Outlaw":crx497ow said:
Touche'! Good one :lol: If it came across like I was pokin fun at you, I didn't mean it to. I was takin a shot at those secret society suckers and their out in the open secret worthless foolishness.

I worked with a guy once who wanted me to join E Clampus Vitus, a professional boozing club run under a veil of a do-good secret society. Told me that I'd have to go through a top secret initiation and that he couldn't tell me about it, that I'd never be able to speak of it afterwards, and that it would be tough on me. I told him it wouldn't be tough and it's no secret that he and his bungling buddies would come out on stretchers, so he may want to reconsider asking.

:scratch: He never asked again :lol:

Puff Daddy":xgyoqpk5 said:
Texas Outlaw":xgyoqpk5 said:
Touche'! Good one :lol: If it came across like I was pokin fun at you, I didn't mean it to. I was takin a shot at those secret society suckers and their out in the open secret worthless foolishness.

I worked with a guy once who wanted me to join E Clampus Vitus, a professional boozing club run under a veil of a do-good secret society. Told me that I'd have to go through a top secret initiation and that he couldn't tell me about it, that I'd never be able to speak of it afterwards, and that it would be tough on me. I told him it wouldn't be tough and it's no secret that he and his bungling buddies would come out on stretchers, so he may want to reconsider asking.

:scratch: He never asked again :lol:
I was trying to be funny, bud. Swamped at work, will re read more carefully later.

It was funny :D I just wanted to make sure I didn't seem like I was pointing that comment at you. Sometimes I try too hard to be funny and the thing goes off accidentally, taking out innocent bystanders :shock:

I was in a fraternity. I had a damn good time. I now know people in certain places that make my life easier.

Remember, it's not WHAT you know, but WHO you know.

shootist51":hd3o7jlx said:
It could be a lot worse...Say a woman you found yourself very attracted to, after a few drinks, whispered, "You know, back when I was a Boy Scout....."! :affraid:
...RUN AWAY!