Security Lighting for House

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slow Puffs

Reaction score
We bought this house in 2004 and it was a built in 1992. It was then a starter home developement on land that used to be a farm.

Everything was build cheaply and the original owner could upgrade if they wanted.

Finally, I decided to replace the outside house lights. They were cheap and when the wind blows, they would turn upside down... the bronze coating looked like dirt.

I installed (with the help of my son), three new lights. One next to the front door and one each, on either side of the garage door.

I chose "motion" lights. After a couple days, I am really please with them. I was surprised at how many times the lights go on in the early evening... (8pm to 10 pm - it's still dark here)... Now I'm going to put one at the back door, it will be ideal to alert us to any activity in the back yard.

So, while some neighbours leave their lights on all night (and sometimes forget about them when they leave for work)... I just let the motion sensor do the work :D

We've got the motion flood lamps in the back yard and like them a lot. We leave our lights on all night and I like that the motion ones can be programmed to dim or turn off completely. We set them to dim so it is never completely dark. I have been looking for the lantern style ones for the front with this same feature, I like to have lights on at night but diming them would be nice. Also, when we go away for a few days, I normally don't leave the outside lights on since I figure having them on all day for a couple of days is like a big "Nobody Home" sign. Automatic lights on the front make it look like you are home when you are not.

Anyway, great feature and I am sure you are going to love them.

Only problem I've had with them is everytime the wind blows (quite often) the light comes on, so I disabled the motion function and just use it like normal.

Living on a fairly high traffic street, we installed motion detector spots on the front of the house. Everything was great until one evening I was sitting in the living room reading and the lights went on. I looked out the window and couldn't see anyone out side, so I figured the wind must have blow something across the yard, triggering the lights. After a few moments the lights went out and I resumed my reading.

Suddenly, the lights came on again! Again, I went to the door and looked out and saw nothing. I also noticed that there was no wind. WTF? Again the lights went out and I picked up my book.

Just as I was getting reimmersed in the book, Boom, the lights came on again. This time suspecting some nefarious activity, I picked up a flashlight and my Glock and went out to investigate. While searching the yard the lights once again extinguished. As I headed back to the door, again the lights came on and I detected some movement above the gutter, where the senor is mounted. Flashing my light up to the roof, just above the sensor, I see a big ole raccoon reaching down and waving it's arm in front of the sensor!

Life in the big city, it's such a joy :lol!:

I always liked the "surprise" factor that motion lights provide. I have blue / white LED bulbs in mine. My Wife thinks they look "cold & uninviting", but I think they really sharpen your sight at night.

Not a bad idea. I've been giving some thought about the outdoor lighting situation here. We get lots of wind at times, and definitely our share of critters. Still, it would add a measure of safety. May just have to add that the project list...

-Andrew

We had a couple adjustable motion sensor floods installed just before winter. One on the stairway to the back porch and another underneath the back porch. After some fine tuning of the sensitivity we love 'em. Sensitivity is set low enough so the wind and such doesn't trip them, but high enough that it lets us know when the cat walks up the steps and wants to come in.

Yes mine have settings... High, Medium Low for sensitivity and 2 minutes; 6 minutes, Dusk to Dawn for length of time.

I converted all flood lights to motion sensors a few years ago and we like them a lot. It gets mighty dark at night around these parts, so the lights are a must.

I have all of my outside lights on timers that I bought at Home Depot. The timers replace the wall switches that control the lights. They are really versatile - handle daylight saving time, have a random function, etc. For bulbs, I use CFLs and run the lights from sunset to sunrise on random mode. This is 365 day/yr. So I can go away for extended periods and the house doesn't change its appearance. No problems with raccoons or wind either!