Seltzer Water

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joemelon

Reaction score
Big fan here, I end up drinking about a liter worth a lot of days. Eventually I'd like to invest in a system to carbonate my water at home. Wondering how many of you folks enjoy seltzer water, what brands y'all buy, how you drink it and if you have a home carbonation setup?

Back in the "old days" we used to have a bar device in which we put small CO2 tanks and charged a liter or so of water. I might still have the thing somewhere in the cellar but "ammo" might be a stretch to find today.
Straight soda water? For me, only used as a splash in my Scotch.

I'd like to have a soda siphon eventually, just haven't put in the research to see what's available now and the only one I've seen in person was at an antique shop and was a little pricey. Did have a mesh cage, but you know...buying a used one without knowing it's history, how long it's been in disuse, et cetera with the chance of it exploding on me didn't sound too appealing.

I've never added seltzer water to scotch, will have to try. I usually add just plain water.

Thanks Jefe!

I think I saw the Instructables link a good while back, hadn't seen the second link before. Homemade seltzer water with more than twice the carbonation sounds great to me. "Local man blown to bits making bubbly water" kinda has small town paper cover story written all over it, eh? :lol:

Hello Joe, I got interested in the mesh covered soda siphons and picked up two. I have one which is complete but the valve will not work. I could not find any parts to repair it. They are nice to look at and I can put a modern valve head from one I got at William Sanoma the aluminum bottle kind. The CO2 cartridges are expensive so I do think for every day use I would get the soda makers that you find at Kitchen stores. They run around $100. But, they are cheaper to operate.

:cheers:

I use a ISI siphon--gift from the MIL, works great, only wish it prepped more than a liter at a time.

CO2 catridges are not too terrrible when bought in quantity online. I've mentioned it under a similar soda water topic earlier, but if you're buying by mail, make sure you're getting the food-grade ones.

I use this guy:

MachineTop-FountainJet.jpg