Semi-New Smoker...new to Bros of Briar

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burch

Reaction score
Hello all,

A little background then I will get to a question (which most likely will be suited for another section of the forum). I started smoking when I started college, stopped during my stent in the service, and have recently began smoking some. I have a couple of pipes (A Peterson and a Savinelli). I enjoy the Savinelli much better than the Peterson I must say. And I've smoked a few aeromatics (haven't found anything spectacular yet) but I have "discovered" Dunhill's Night Cap. I thoroughly enjoy Night Cap. So, to my question, I'm looking for recommendations for not only good smoking pipes but also (and more importantly) tobaccos.

Have a good one!

Hello and welcome..I can't really suggest any better pipes then you already mentioned - Savs and Petes are both excellent IMHO, as for tobacco try some Orlik Golden Sliced and/or some Frog Morton on the Town. To me they are both great for newer smokers..

Welcome, Burch!
I'm new here myself but I can tell you one thing; you certainly came to the right place for recommendations. Get a notebook ready. Once we start suggesting tobacco, there's no end in sight. :lol: As for pipes, there have been quite a few recent threads by newcomers needing advice. You're off to a good start, though. Petes and Savs are solid choices. I have several of each and they're some of my favorite smokers.

Welcome from another new guy Burch! So many pipes--so many tobaccos :shock: Requires a bit of trial and error,especially it seems to me, with tobaccos. If you have a B&M near you might buy some samples of the various types of blends to see what you like. Many places online to order samples also. I started with aros but now smoke mostly burleys,especially the OTC's,CH,PA,SWR etc. Me and Virginias ,especially va/pers do not get along.

Welcome, Burch! I'm sure you'll get lots of suggestions from those who also like Nightcap

"T"

Welcome! I love Savs (and most Italian-made pipes I've tried, for that matter). I do like the Nightcap, but you might want to try some Lancer's Slices--I find it much fresher and sweeter than the Nightcap, but it still has plenty of latakia for the smokiness.

I've got a new guy question. I probably should post this elsewhere, but being a member of several forums (various topics), you can tend to get a wrath of responses regarding previously discussed topics.

My question is in regard to what tobaccos to smoke in what pipes. I understand that I need to keep English away from Aeromatics. But what about FVF vs. Night Cap and combinations like that. For instance if I find something that does not have a lot or any Latikia in it, should I smoke it in the same pipe with my Night Cap or something more heavy in Latikia? If there is some sort of literature recommended I'd appreciate it or if there is a more detailed post or website. I am willing to listen.

Thanks

Burch":2rjml7j8 said:
I've got a new guy question. I probably should post this elsewhere, but being a member of several forums (various topics), you can tend to get a wrath of responses regarding previously discussed topics.

My question is in regard to what tobaccos to smoke in what pipes. I understand that I need to keep English away from Aeromatics. But what about FVF vs. Night Cap and combinations like that. For instance if I find something that does not have a lot or any Latikia in it, should I smoke it in the same pipe with my Night Cap or something more heavy in Latikia? If there is some sort of literature recommended I'd appreciate it or if there is a more detailed post or website. I am willing to listen.

Thanks
You'll find BOB is more forgiving the most, we have quite a few duplicate topics. This is certainly one of them. Some folks advocated dedicating specific pipes to specific blends, others say keep the same genre together (VA pipes, English pipes, etc). I, for one, don't mind mixing lats and Va/Pers. Pop down to the Pipe Rack and you'll see the topic discussed in more detail.

Welcome!! feel like i know you or something.... ha ha

Enjoyed the homebrewing and pipe smoking advernture last night. Hotty Toddy!!