Semois by Vincent Manil ...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got some, too. I was wondering what pipe I would use to smoke it, something not ghosted. A new cob? A new anything? I really don't want to break in a new pipe with Semois, know-what-I'm-sayin'? Perhaps a new cob broken in with PA only? I'm leaning toward an old French dublin I haven't smoked in years, and has absolutely no scent. This is a weighty decision, one on which civilization as we know it may depend.

mimefrog, thanks so much for posting this, much appreciated. I have ordered some as well and look forward to either hogging it all or seeking 'sharers'.

FWIW, I've heard from some it ghosts, others have said it does not.  My plan is to try it in a Sav pot that tends to complement burleys well.  From what I understand, it is closest to burley.

Ryepipe - you're welcome.  I hope its great and is a success for Mr. Manil and the Pipe Guys (I am a fan of their prices, tobacco choices, and website layout).  After the New York Times article on it, I was bound and determined to try it for myself.  This sentence did it for me: "Yet as I drew more slowly, a deep, earthen husk spread into my mouth, at once pungent and delicate, with floral hints that drifted above a rich and savory base."  Whoa.  Sounds like my speed.

How much Semois does the 24.90 fetch? I couldn't figure shipping.

hp
les

I am tempted, but I just can't bring myself to buy in on this.

Somewhere between the description of it, (more the "linear" than the "earthy") and the strength being noted as "Powerful," I decided to pass.

I do however look forward to hearing what each of you think of it.

DrumsAndBeer":c1p3ry2s said:
I am tempted, but I just can't bring myself to buy in on this.

Somewhere between the description of it, (more the "linear" than the "earthy") and the strength being noted as "Powerful," I decided to pass.  

I do however look forward to hearing what each of you think of it.
Re-send me your address, Brosef, I don't seem to have it any more. Once the ship comes in I'll send you a few bowls if I like it, or a whole lot if I don't!

Yeah, I couldn't resist either. I decided to split it with a friend out of the gate. While I am anxious to try it, I have a hard time believing it will be something that I will want with any degree of regularity. I tend to divide my time between English/Oriental/Balkan and VaPers. As such, I doubt I'll be head over heels for an unblended tobacco reminiscent of burley (according to the accounts I've read). Still, should be interesting and I look forward to seeing how everyone weighs in on it.

I received a sample of this a little while ago and found it underwhelming. Kind of bland and nondescript, and it certainly didn't have much strength nic-wise. There again I've only had one bowl so far. Need to check it out in a meer or cob before saying any more.

Cheers,

RR

I actually resisted the temptation to order a package of this. That was quite an accomplishment since I love jumping on the latest, greatest bandwagon. Reading the descriptions of this tobacco it doesn't seem like something I'd really enjoy. However, I do respect the way it's grown and processed and I wish the pipe guys great success with their sales.