Sent a pipe in for repair.... kind of.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Handsome Dynamite

Reaction score
I was smoking at night one time and dropped my pipe. It was fine when I picked it up though. Then when I was done I threw it in my pocket with what ever else was in there.
Then I got to thinking. This pipe takes a lot of abuse, and it's my Peterson Malahide I picked up when I was in Ireland. Yet somehow, it's a pipe I like to smoke, and for some reason gravitate to. But from all the rough treatment, I decided I get a second stem for it. I was at the local B&M and asked the owner about pipe stem repairs, he said the price, and someone asked which one I broke. I said I just wanted the second stem so I wouldn't break the original.

Is this insane thinking, having a second stem for an unbroke pipe?

People who have nice, original pipes have had everyday stems (often with improved airways) made for better performance, with the fringe benefit being no further deterioration of the original stem (a factor in the eventual collector value aspect) from use.

Just send it to someone WHO WILL NOT SAND THE STEM-SHANK JUNCTURE or the original stem won't fit and, since the pipe won't be "original" any more, will have zero collector value as a result.

:face:

Yak":gqx5xhsz said:
People who have nice, original pipes have had everyday stems (often with improved airways) made for better performance, with the fringe benefit being no further deterioration of the original stem (a factor in the eventual collector value aspect) from use.

Just send it to someone WHO WILL NOT SAND THE STEM-SHANK JUNCTURE or the original stem won't fit and, since the pipe won't be "original" any more, will have zero collector value as a result.

What the Yakster said plus, it's not a bad idea to stow the original stem if you ever plan on selling the pipe. I have a decent collection of Nordings for which I use only two stems on a regular basis. They can be chewed on, turn green, get scratched, etc. This way if they ever "have to go", I can put a fresh, crisp, clean stem on all of them :cheers:

I've done this myself after having a favored pipe break. Although I don't collect for the sake of value, keeping an extra stem on hand allows you to remove the broken bit and keep on smoking. My general go to pipe is likely one of the ugliest things you've ever seen (cracks and all) and I'm still considering doing the same for it. Mostly because I really don't want to be without it.

~Spatz

Yak":vnm4pk9u said:

The guy makes pipes, and understands what I want, so it's all good.