SERIOUS junk science!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A full pipe and big steak and glasss of whisky and I'll live forever! (Or at least die extremely happy.)

Now get this........What you are about to read is the worst
junk science I've ever encountered.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20090415/hl_afp/healthnetherlandseuropediseasecancer

...and of course being the "worst junk science," you've encountered you brought it right to you favorite pipe smokers board.

I don't think its junk science. The study found data that suggests that chemicals found in veggies and fruit reacts with chemicals found in people as the result of smoking that may increase the incidences of cancer. It's junk reporting.

What about the life saving isotopes found in Gin?

What was that line Burgess Meredeth uttered in grumpier old men about being old and healthy,,,,,Camels and bacon for breakfast, lunch and for supper,,,,

Doc Manhattan":9g4u7awu said:
A full pipe and big steak and glasss of whisky and I'll live forever! (Or at least die extremely happy.)
Amen Brother! :cheers:

I don't think its junk science. The study found data that suggests that chemicals found in veggies and fruit reacts with chemicals found in people as the result of smoking that may increase the incidences of cancer. It's junk reporting.
Fair enough.

However, my understanding of smoking related illnesses, and interaction of smoking related toxins with other chemicals and such is that the medium of delivery is important. Ie. smoke inhaled into the lungs is considerably different than nicotine and such absorbed through the lining in the mouth. Now, I can't remember where I read that, so it could be entirely false...

As for the data. It followed 8.5 year, which doesn't seem like an extended period of time to me. Also, it tracked 'smokers,' presumably, cigarette smokers smoking an average of a pack a day or so. Maybe it's the pipe smoker in me, but personally, I think that details like that are important, and possibly have an effect on results. Furthermore, it only looked at colon cancer...while significant, my understanding of it is that it is quite treatable if caught early on.

...not that that justifies getting cancer.

My point, I think, is that I'll take my chances...I'll eat healthy, exercise and smoke, and hope for the best.

I love these kinds of "scientific" studies. They manage to make every news outlet, but you can never find the actual study and are never able to see just how they tested and what the baseline is for the study.

So as my contribution to the scientific world, I have conducted my own study and for the first time will post the results here. (Mainly because the AP refuses to even talk to me)

1) Due to an increase in airplanes flying, people stand a greater risk of an airplane falling out of the sky and hitting them. This risk is even greater on pipe smokers as they may see the airplane before it hits them and jump out of the way. When jumping, they risk dropping their beloved briar and breaking it. This will result in depression and stress to the pipe smoker which could also be a health risk.

2) Due to an increase in automobiles, people stand a greater risk of misplacing their keys. This risk is even greater on pipe smokers as they will not realize the keys have been misplaced until they are getting ready to go to the local B&M to pick-up more of their favorite blend. This will cause anxiety and stress. There is also a possibility of depression if the pipe smoker eventually does find their keys but discovers that they are too late and that the B&M has closed for the day.

3) Due to an increase in computers, there is a greater risk of hard drives failing. This has a much greater impact on pipe smokers as the drive will no doubt crash when the smoker is about ready to place a large online order to their favorite tobacco etailer or when they are ready to bid on that perfect piece of briar on ebay. This will cause an increase in anxiety and stress. Studies also found that this could have a much greater risk that up until the study was performed was unknown. The pipe smoker, depressed that their hard drive crashed, could decide to drive to the nearest B&M and purchase tobacco products to console themselves. At that time they could run the risk of finding out that they have misplaced their keys. After searching the entire house and not finding their keys, they could decide to look outside for the keys. While looking outside, no doubt looking down at the ground, they may not notice an airplane falling out of the sky and as an end result the airplane could hit them.

I'm sure that I had more results but I somehow misplaced the cocktail napkin that I was using to record the results on. :cry:

I think the one thing that I realized by performing this "scientific" study is that:
Life is way too short to worry about it. Enjoy life like there is no tomorrow with no regrets. Enjoy that steak, pipe, or drink because you never know what the next day will bring.

Randy

I look at it this way, unless you have been living under a rock you know that tobacco use of any type is "worse" for you than not. There are always going to be studies that show the dangers of tobacco because there is money for those kinda of studies. I doubt could ever get a high ranking med school to study the differences between the dangers of cigs and pipes. I am a scientist and I choose to smoke pipe, I will continue to do so until I have a good reason to quit.

I'm guessing there won't be too many studies on the stress relief, relaxation, and patience that pipesmoking gives me. Maybe that equals out a bunch of the bad effects?

I think there has been studies that revealed that pipe smokers actually live longer than nonsmokers. You would think I would remember where that was. Surgeon General's report?

raevans":64ck88lc said:
I love these kinds of "scientific" studies. They manage to make every news outlet, but you can never find the actual study and are never able to see just how they tested and what the baseline is for the study.

So as my contribution to the scientific world, I have conducted my own study and for the first time will post the results here. (Mainly because the AP refuses to even talk to me)

1) Due to an increase in airplanes flying, people stand a greater risk of an airplane falling out of the sky and hitting them. This risk is even greater on pipe smokers as they may see the airplane before it hits them and jump out of the way. When jumping, they risk dropping their beloved briar and breaking it. This will result in depression and stress to the pipe smoker which could also be a health risk.

2) Due to an increase in automobiles, people stand a greater risk of misplacing their keys. This risk is even greater on pipe smokers as they will not realize the keys have been misplaced until they are getting ready to go to the local B&M to pick-up more of their favorite blend. This will cause anxiety and stress. There is also a possibility of depression if the pipe smoker eventually does find their keys but discovers that they are too late and that the B&M has closed for the day.

3) Due to an increase in computers, there is a greater risk of hard drives failing. This has a much greater impact on pipe smokers as the drive will no doubt crash when the smoker is about ready to place a large online order to their favorite tobacco etailer or when they are ready to bid on that perfect piece of briar on ebay. This will cause an increase in anxiety and stress. Studies also found that this could have a much greater risk that up until the study was performed was unknown. The pipe smoker, depressed that their hard drive crashed, could decide to drive to the nearest B&M and purchase tobacco products to console themselves. At that time they could run the risk of finding out that they have misplaced their keys. After searching the entire house and not finding their keys, they could decide to look outside for the keys. While looking outside, no doubt looking down at the ground, they may not notice an airplane falling out of the sky and as an end result the airplane could hit them.

I'm sure that I had more results but I somehow misplaced the cocktail napkin that I was using to record the results on. :cry:

I think the one thing that I realized by performing this "scientific" study is that:
Life is way too short to worry about it. Enjoy life like there is no tomorrow with no regrets. Enjoy that steak, pipe, or drink because you never know what the next day will bring.

Randy
I too did a similar study, but in the middle of it, my wife walked by, blinding me with her science :cheers:

:lol!:

I love these stories... My wife keeps beating me over the head with the negative effects of smoking. & I just keep puffing. :twisted:

With the healthier business, when doing research for a paper this term, I stumbled across a study showing that pipe and cigar smokers missed less work because of health-related issues than cigarette smokers and non-smokers. Perhaps we're a healthy crew!