SG Black XX Kendall Twist

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muddler

Reaction score
I bought a tin of this several moons ago because someone had raved about it. Quite frankly I haven't had the guts to open it. So when Jean du Toit asked me about ropes, I gave him the tin (he, he) & requested he report back. Well, he gave the tin back to me yesterday saying it smelt like a barbeque & tasted like lamb fat. I was partly horrified & partly intrigued. I tried to pass the tin onto our mutual pipe-smoking buddy Peter Binsbergen but he was having none of it.

Today I knew it was time to man up & face the stuff or live forever intimidated by a tin of tobacco. I warily opened the lid & cut off a few coins. The stuff is tarry, jet black & tended to jam up the cigar cutter I was using. I found a war-weary GBD Speciale (knowing this stuff is notorious for ghosting), filled it with a few rubbed-out coins & lit up. Or rather tried to light up - the tobacco was really moist.

Well, what a surprise once it was on the go. Definitely pungent stuff with shades of Brown no4 rope but full of flavour. And it's flavour that improves as the bowl middles out. There are subtleties to the taste too - charred lamb fat perhaps being one of them - but I taste strong black coffee (& probably best enjoyed with a cup of black coffee) & hints of dark chocolate. I really enjoyed the smoke. Not an everyday blend though, it is a go-to when looking for something robust. Taking the analogy of the dog turd (to which the rope has a resemblance) further, I feel like I faced my demon & it wagged its tail.

PS: I asked Mrs Muddler what she thought of the room note. The replied that it smells like an expensive cigar!

I like the SG Black rope. Much better than the Gawith Hoggarth version. Does not seem to be overcooked as badly. So there is a lot less of the charcoal flavor.

Muddler Has decided that this stuff needs to be smoked as a "right of passage" into our little pipe club......... well Mudd, you almost had me convinced, but the Lamb Fat and dark chocolate bit realllllllllyyyyy tickles my fancy!!!!!!
....uhhhhh yes, uhm No....... damn ok Mudd, lets do it!!! bring it on! :p :p :p