SG Full Virginia Plug

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've heard of it Ally but never tried it.
Considering the cost of it, it might be awhile before I do.

Cartaphilus":fyw8liyw said:
I've heard of it Ally but never tried it.
Considering the cost of it, it might be awhile before I do.
Typical UK prices Ron.
Infact, it's a wee bit cheaper than usual.!

Ouch, I want to try it but $90 for 250g!!! I once paid $80 for a 500g box of FVF and I felt dirty afterward.

How in the world do blenders decide what and where they will their product. Can it really be said that US pipe smokers are less receptive to plug tobacco and thus SG's plug versions of their tobaccos will not be sold here? I don't think so. You would think they would distribute throughout the world, wherever there was a sufficient concentration of pipe smokers.

They've got at least a half dozen of their tobaccos in plug form. OOOHH! FVF in plug! Nice!

I'd be all over FVF or MVF plug if it were available in the US but not for $90. I'll just glue a sliced 250g together and recut it.

Hereward":012r0ka9 said:
I'd be all over FVF or MVF plug if it were available in the US but not for $90. I'll just glue a sliced 250g together and recut it.
Make sure you don't use super glue, it really stinks when it burns 8)

Is this significantly different than the brick in the 250g bulk box?

Synjeco has had this up on their website for a few years now Ally, along with the St. James plug, which was added a bit later. It works out to about $12.50 per 50g when you buy at least 500g, and that includes the shipping to the US, so still fairly reasonable actually.

I've been fortunate enough to have tried some of each, and even though I love the plug presentation and all it offers I didn't find the smoke to be a sufficient improvement on the flake versions to warrent the extra expense personally (FVF and St. James flake can still be had for about $50 per pound in bulk form here in the US, when it's available of course).

I'de say £11.15 is a competative enough price, comparatively speaking. Probably well worth a flutter.

Being a huge fan of Plug tobacco myself Ally I would recommend you try at least a 25g sampler Buddy, the Plug form is a very interesting smoke, it is more balanced than the flake version, a heck of a lot smoother but considerably more trouble if you're not used to smoking plugs. If you haven't smoked Plug tobacco before and get yourself a sampler then make sure you cube cut the backy let it dry for a good long while and then gravity fill your pipe, it wont smoke so well if you don't mate, it just wont stay lit mate. Leave a tiny space on top of the backy and dropped in a small bit of the Plug that you have dried considerably and rubbed out fully, this will help to get a good smouldering head on top of the Plug, it is a very enjoyable smoke but it will last at least twice as long as a flake filled bowl so be ready for a long enjoyable smoke. :)

If anyone wants to go in on the FV and St. James plug, LMK!!!

Synjeco's site says shipping for 1/2kg (1.1lbs) is going to be ~$13, which is not too bad for something you can't get over here, but the plugs are gonna cost you ~$55/250g.