SG FVF

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had a tin of FVF from 2013 that got popped open sometime during the move, or shortly before, so once I got settled and my pipe stuff unboxed and put away, I had to move it to a jar and get it rehydrated, as it was dry as a bone. :( On the bright side, once I got it to a decent moisture content, it's been an absolute dream to smoke.

I have to agree with everyone on this thread though, it is an absolute booger to get right, but when it is right man does it reward you.

See...I don't think everyone, or even most, or even a majority, etc. are saying it's such a bugger to get right. A few guys say that and then it's pretty much flag waving after that. I've never found it to be so hard to get right. At least, no more hard than most any other VA flake. Care with moisture, consistently rough rubbed, moderately jammed into a bowl of appropriate geometry, the ambient temperature being not too hot outside, puffed with a foolishly greedy cadence, if it starts to gurgle then slow down...you know, just the basics. I know there are fussy flakes out there but I really don't think that this is one.

Blackhorse":l12fwn74 said:
See...I don't think everyone, or even most, or even a majority, etc. are saying it's such a bugger to get right. A few guys say that and then it's pretty much flag waving after that. I've never found it to be so hard to get right. At least, no more hard than most any other VA flake.  Care with moisture, consistently rough rubbed, moderately jammed into a bowl of appropriate geometry, the ambient temperature being not too hot outside, puffed with a foolishly greedy cadence, if it starts to gurgle then slow down...you know, just the basics. I know there are fussy flakes out there but I really don't think that this is one.
Would love to get your take:

Do you find it tastes better with the moisture level it has straight out of the tin or do you let it dry before you smoke it?

Taste is one of the most personal aspects of pipe smoking. For me the issue is one of how well, or perhaps eagerly, it burns. My somewhat limited experience with tinned FVF (since I typically buy bulk) is that in the tin it is more moist and a good amount of dry time provides a better burn with fewer relights, especially early in the bowl.

Blackhorse":5i2a8j9t said:
Taste is one of the most personal aspects of pipe smoking. For me the issue is one of how well, or perhaps eagerly, it burns. My somewhat limited experience with tinned FVF (since I typically buy bulk) is that in the tin it is more moist and a good amount of dry time provides a better burn with fewer relights, especially early in the bowl.
I usually dry mine a bit as well (mostly from bulk).  What I need to do is smoke one blend exclusively for at least a dozen smokes and vary the moisture level to see what is better, but I probably won't  :D  

I usually don't smoke the same tobacco more than twice in a row. I love the options we have had.

Yeah, I've never been so analytical in my approach. I tend to just enjoy each bowl as best I can and worry over it as little as possible. There's enough in this world on which to stress out.

Blackhorse":k7vu5r2l said:
Yeah, I've never been so analytical in my approach. I tend to just enjoy each bowl as best I can and worry over it as little as possible. There's enough in this world on which to stress out.
Amen brother!