Shape preferences, is this normal?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LIPIPE":ryokjdd7 said:
I'm breaking in a new Stanwell Silke Brun #19 that feels terrific in the hand as well as between the teeth. It has a rather thick bowl yet it is not heavy. It's a very beautiful and well made pipe. Below is a link to three pics. I honestly do not know what shape one would call it. Please let me know if any of you do. I purchased it from 4 noggins.

http://www.charlespipes.com/store/1883931/product/STSB19
I would call it a lovat. Not because it looks like a lovat but only because I love that shape so much :)

I'm pretty much a bent guy (ya, so that opens me up to all kinds of abuse....lol).

Virtually all of my small collection is some form of bent. Don't know that I have one bowl preference over another. Although I will say that there is a difference in the burn/flavor and I have identified some pipes for specific blends.

Just recently got the urge to get in some straight pipes. There's a couple estate pipes at briarblues that I might pull the trigger on. Need to cogitate on this for a day or so......

Cheers,

RR

Split about 50/50 between straights and bents of varying degrees.
As for bowl shape the only preference I really have is for small ones.
My "larger" bowls all average around 3/4" x 1 1/4" perhaps. Billiards most, a couple of Oom Pauls.
The pipes that see the most action are generally right at an inch deep, or less, and are from just under 3/4" to as small as 1/2" across.
At that I can still get upwards of 45 minutes to an hour out of most of em' with a tight packed bowl of shag and sipping!

When I started smoking a pipe in earnest, I gravitated towards Bulldogs and Rhodesians, but have become more open to other shapes, and find I like m Dublins particularly these days. The only category I haven't ventured into is Danish freehands, I like symmetry in a pipe. Happily, The only real answer is to uy more bowls they all have their virtues. Like tobacco, some guys smoke one blend, other change tastes.

Not unusual to prefer a particular shape, we all have our preferences. My favorites are dogs, rhodies, panels, and oompauls.

LIPIPE":oacuc67z said:
I'm breaking in a new Stanwell Silke Brun #19 that feels terrific in the hand as well as between the teeth. It has a rather thick bowl yet it is not heavy. It's a very beautiful and well made pipe. Below is a link to three pics. I honestly do not know what shape one would call it. Please let me know if any of you do. I purchased it from 4 noggins.

http://www.charlespipes.com/store/1883931/product/STSB19
I would call it a handmade "Dublin."

Beautiful pipe!

Peterson's Donegal Rocky Rhoadies and Bulldogs: McClelland's 2015 or 2010
Peterson's Donegal Rocky Straight Billiard: No1 all around smoker.
Savinelli EX LG Canadian or Lumbermen: Lighter Vaginias that could bite, also SG and GH Flakes.
Randy Wiley's Bent Dublins: Special Occassion Tobaccos

Pipe preferences are very personal. It's like picking out a hat or new shoes. You know what fits your style when you see it. For me, I like a lot of different shapes but at the top are bent billiards, bulldogs, Rhodesians, and pots in that order. I have a preference for bents but don't mind straights and have some in the rotation at all times.