Shaving brush questions (and others)

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idlefellow

Reaction score
Here are two of my brushes; the one on the right my father-in-law brought back from Germany during WWII; he "liberated" it, or so I'm told. He gave it to me shortly after I married his daugher and I used it for a number of years before I relegated it to display duty.

The other is my old Crabtree and Evelyn that I've had for well over 30 years and is still my daily user. They seem to have dropped shaving goods fromr their line which is a shame, as I haven't used my C&E scuttle for years because I haven't found round-bottomed soap to fit it. Used to love their soap; boxwood as I recall, but I may disremember.

Shavingbrushes001_zpsa6fa4065.jpg

Shavingbrushes002_zps8cf618ca.jpg

Anyway, both are wonderful brushes, but both (as you can see) have gotten a bit thin in the middle. I would like to find a source to have them re-bristled. The thing is, the German brush is quite large (about 1-1/4" acoss the opening) and even old C&E #2938 is approximately 1" across. I talked to a fellow once - maybe from here, but again I may disremember - about doing it. He asked for those measurements, but when I supplied them I never heard from him again.

So, the questions: 1) anyone know who I can contact about redoing my brushes, and 2) who/what is a good source for soaps, especially - but not necessarily restricted to, as I do have a standard flat-bottomed mug as well - soaps that might fit my scuttle? I've been using whatever the local Walgreens supplies for too long, and I'm tired of it. Thanks...

the Golden Nib sells knots, restoring them is as simple as drilling the old knot out and glueing the new knot in..

As for soap sources..

www.westcoastshaving.com
www.royalshave.com
www.bullgooseshaving.net

Pay a visit over to www.badgerandblade.com You'll find a vast array of knowledgeable folks regarding shave gear and shaving in general.