Sherlock Holmes audio

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the macdonald

Reaction score
I noticed there are a few box sets of Sherlock Holmes radio (I think) shows. I have a long commute and I thought it might be a good purchase. Is there any that are recomended or any suggestions to look out for?

Lol, Great Ceasars Ghost! I knew that a year ago, but forgot. Thank you, that is a great site. The CD's I have been looking at are dramatic with sound effects, and several actors.

the macdonald":zfqnmnt7 said:
Lol, Great Ceasars Ghost! I knew that a year ago, but forgot. Thank you, that is a great site. The CD's I have been looking at are dramatic with sound effects, and several actors.
I have over 230 of the old time radio shows of Sherlock Holmes in mp3 format. With all of the actors and sound effects and all. I am somewhat of an old time radio fan, hence the screen name FibberMcGee.

Jebus - give'em up, Fibber, or make your namesake weep! Bring forth Sherly!

As a big collector of Sherlock Holmes radio programs (over 300 shows in my collection), I can point you out to a few sites where you can download shows for free.

http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=mediatype%3Aaudio%20AND%20collection%3Aoldtimeradio%20AND%20subject%3A%22Sherlock%20Holmes%22 - nice collection of OTR Sherlock Holmes, including the majority of the Basil Rathbone/Nigel Bruce series that has survived

http://timespast.ning.com/group/thedefinitivesherlockholmes?invitationRequestSent=yes - you will have to sign up and get approved to join this group, but some of these guys have EVERYTHING that you could ever want with regard to Holmes Audio!!!

http://sherlock.mindcop.net/index.html - this is a cool site!!! It is pretty much a Sherlock Holmes Public Library at your fingertips!!! Has some OTR stuff and you can find most of the original stories from Doyle's "Canon" in audio format here!

http://www.otrsite.com/logs/logs1041.htm - this is a VERY helpful "Log" that shows all of the Sherlock Holmes radio shows in chronological order and also denotes which shows are available (which ones have survived). This is a very helpful site for "completists" like myself who has to have EVERY episode out there!

Hope this helps!!! Enjoy!!! :D

-Scott

A topic near and dear to my heart. For my long commute I listen to old time radio shows via podcast and find it far superior to anything on the radio today. In particular, I am a fan of the Holmes shows with Rathbone and Bruce, sponsored by Petri Wine.

Anyway, the reason I am adding to this thread is to point out an alternative that I enjoy, which is a hosted podcast which broadcasts the episodes in order, once a week, with commentary. Waiting for the next one must be a lot like it was in the old days. This particular podcast has four other shows as well, one for each weekday. Check it out:

www.greatdetectives.net

or search for Adam Graham on ITunes.

raftergtex":r04rvbxs said:
A topic near and dear to my heart. For my long commute I listen to old time radio shows via podcast and find it far superior to anything on the radio today. In particular, I am a fan of the Holmes shows with Rathbone and Bruce, sponsored by Petri Wine.

Anyway, the reason I am adding to this thread is to point out an alternative that I enjoy, which is a hosted podcast which broadcasts the episodes in order, once a week, with commentary. Waiting for the next one must be a lot like it was in the old days. This particular podcast has four other shows as well, one for each weekday. Check it out:

www.greatdetectives.net

or search for Adam Graham on ITunes.
Wow, thanks for the link! I am definitely going to check those podcasts out, mainly for the commentary, as I have listened to the Petri Wine Rathbone/Bruce broadcasts more times than I can count. Lately, I have been also checking out some Nero Wolfe broadcasts from the 50's with Sydney Greenstreet as Wolfe. Interestingly enough, in some of the episodes, Archie Goodwin is played by none other than Harry Bartell, the Petri Wine guy!!! I have also been enjoying a lot of Duffy's Tavern and Jack Benny lately. You can't beat OTR!

-Scott