Sherlock Holmes Handbook

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

St Fiacre

Reaction score
Has anyone else read the Sherlock Holmes Handbook by Ransom Riggs. It was a pretty good brief read, I added it on to my order for The Sign or Four and The Valley of Fear to get free shipping. I have read the entire Canon except for the two aforementioned books and this is why I was able to dectect an error in the book. The author says that Holmes measures the depth of bicycle tracks in the Solitary Cyclist but as I am sure most of you know Holmes does that in The adventure of the Priory School not the Solitary Cyclist. A minor quibble though still a pretty good read.

Does anyone else know of other Holmes books that are good but not actually non-Canonical Holmes stories?

not sure if you mean non-doyle by non-canonical, but i'm currently reading caleb carr's 'the italian secretary.' while a little slow moving at first, it's very true to the originals in style and it's starting to get pretty good. inside the jacket, it says that carr was commissioned by the estate of arthur conan doyle to write it. i was able to nab it from the library. (it was written in 2005.)

the laurie king sherlock holmes books are pretty good too, but written from the point of view of a women sherlock holmes befriends. i think 'the beekeepers apprentice' is the first one in a series of several books.

both authors are good writers. carr seems to completely embibe watson.

Yeah I mean non-Doyle stories, I have heard the Carr stories are good and will have to look into those.

St Fiacre":3ytnxvt1 said:
Yeah I mean non-Doyle stories, I have heard the Carr stories are good and will have to look into those.
his other non-sherlock books are good. they take place in a similar time period i believe: 'the alienist' and 'the angel of darkness'. they're both great mystery reads.

I have heard the Professor Challenger stories are good but have never come across them in a store, I actually had to buy the Sign of Four and The Valley of Fear online because no store carried them. I would rather purchase something without having to pay for shipping but I think that is the only way I will be able to read his other stories.

St Fiacre":padnrg2i said:
I have heard the Professor Challenger stories are good but have never come across them in a store, I actually had to buy the Sign of Four and The Valley of Fear online because no store carried them. I would rather purchase something without having to pay for shipping but I think that is the only way I will be able to read his other stories.
my library carries his work (and it's a tiny library). you might have a peak in yours. i know the two i mentioned are out in paperback.

I actually never thought of the library, I am going to the opening of our library next week I am a donor and they are having a banquet and I never even thought of it. :oops:

St Fiacre":n0v7tx2y said:
I actually never thought of the library, I am going to the opening of our library next week I am a donor and they are having a banquet and I never even thought of it. :oops:
:scratch:

no, i forget to check my library too. i usually remember after i've spent $15 on a crappy book.