sherlock holmes squire

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tarheel7734

Reaction score
So I could not pass this up. Smokingpipes.com had a new sherlock squire with a red finish for 160. I put it on layaway to get me through the hollidays without worrying about the pipe disappearing. They will polish the band, so don't fret. It will be my va and va/per blend pipe.
IMG_0109.jpg

When did they start coating the bowl on the sherlock holmes pioes? The squire I had in 2005 was not coated, just stained briar.

No coating inside the bowl, only DYE (you may ask them to remove said DYE while they polish the silver). :twisted:

Beautiful pipe but......

That's a "red spray" SH and they are coated. I'm a big fan of Pete pipes but would be leery of coated ones as I've heard many a horror story of the coatings "bubbling off," though haven't heard that per se about the red sprays. Wish Peterson would stop that practice. Earl

I bought this one a couple of years ago and it was coated.  I did a half-assed  job of removing the coating then said to hell with it and just smoked it.  It's one of my favorite pipes.  I didn't really want a Sherlock, but I got tired of looking for an XL15 Kinsale with a fishtail bit. I would ask them to remove the coating just to pull their chain.  Maybe they would get the message and relay it to the maker.

pete10.jpg
" />

I was thinking about an xl15 also but at 160 it is a good deal on a sherlock holmes bnib.

There are a number of SH shapes I love but cannot afford their price. Instead I've gotten the same shapes I've wanted in the Kinsale line for under 1/2 the price. I simply stay away from their smooth line and get rusticated as the coating on the smooth ones is the biggest culprit of any Pete for coming off. Besides I do not like how glossy the lacquer is. Got my eye on a "Hopkins" in that line now which is a fantastic shape when rusticated. Like my Kinsales quite a bit. Good pipes. Earl

Here are some pics after they polished the silver. I should have it shortly after the first.
002-029-22556.jpg

002-029-22556_1.jpg

Beautiful bent dogs, Gents!  I have two SH's, the Mycroft and the Moran, both smooth finish.  I also have a Kinsale Baker Street rustic (I think they call it the XL13 in Kinsale-speak) which is a great pipe, but I wish they'd put a full band on the Kinsales instead of just that thin spacer; even a nickel silver band would be fine with me.  Just a personal thing, but the band to me is part of what makes a Peterson a Peterson.