Shop Blends

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gjwmsu

Reaction score
How many smoke mainly blends from your local shop?

I love a little shop about 60 miles away. I found a blend from there that is my main smoke, and another that I smoke when in the mood. I used to be mainly a Frog Morton On the Bayou and Squadron Leader man, but as long as this shop is around, I don't think I'll ever buy another mass produced tin.

Just wondering how many are "local Blend" smokers.

Your lucky to have a local B&M. Where do you live BTW? These things closed up around here YEARS ago ! :twisted: :twisted:

monbla256":samrua7d said:
Your lucky to have a local B&M. Where do you live BTW? These things closed up around here YEARS ago ! :twisted: :twisted:
In Mississippi. A place in Jackson called the Country Squire. Been in business for over 40 years. A true pipe shop.

They even have a weekly pipe podcast on their website. Older owners have died and now some young folks who love all things pipes are running it.

Yes, we are lucky to have it.

I've heard good things about them. I think they do their own blends, but many B&M stores just use re-named Lane, Altadis/Sutliff, and Stokkebye bulks. My old local would take these and toy with them a little (add a pinch of perique to an English), but many stores just sell mass-produced blends as if they're local. I get all my tobacco online for the price and selection.

When I first picked up the pipe, I bought virtually all of my tobaccos at the B&M near my university (Pipes and Pleasures, Columbus, OH). In fact, for the first year or two after I left the area - and before I discovered pipe forums or realized that there were major e-tailers - I still placed orders with P&P by phone.

If I remember correctly (which I'm probably not), there blends were basically Lane, Altadis, and/or Stokkebye bulks that they tinkered with a bit before giving it their own name.

For the better part of the last decade, though, I've done about 10% of my shopping at a local B&M (Cousin's Cigar, Woodmere, OH) and the rest online.

Thomas Tkach":bpp6me4r said:
I've heard good things about them. I think they do their own blends, but many B&M stores just use re-named Lane, Altadis/Sutliff, and Stokkebye bulks. My old local would take these and toy with them a little (add a pinch of perique to an English), but many stores just sell mass-produced blends as if they're local. I get all my tobacco online for the price and selection.
I also like the huge selection online! Way better than one of my local B&Ms

Old Nate":h5ke9uo8 said:
Thomas Tkach":h5ke9uo8 said:
I also like the huge selection online! Way better than one of my local B&Ms
Good thing about my shop is you can get a sample to see how you like it. No telling how many tins I've bought that only have, and will ever have, one or two smokes out of it.

The guys at my shop blend their own and are always coming up with new ones. Some work, some don't. They even do seasonal blends, which I'm not much on since they tend to be aromatics.