Short Pipes...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SnuffnStuff

Reaction score
Alright... this is going to sound like a silly question but is there an official "name" for pipes that are short? By short I'm talking about the little nose warmer types that are maybe only 4 inches long from end to end... I've seen them called a number of things over the years...

Nose Warmers, Pugs, Sport Pipes, Squats... does anyone know if there is an actual "industry" type term for this kind of pipe? I'm only asking because I have a few in my collection and I love them for driving in the car or working around the yard because they are really light and easy to keep in your mouth while you are mowing or raking or whatever.

Trying to google search them or even search for them on Pipe websites is hit or miss so I thought maybe there was a key word I was missing or something like that.

Evening SnS,

I've only ever known them as 'nose warmers', but doubt if this was a term originating from the industry.

God bless your pipe research. I'm not a short pipe smoker generally so I don't have the answers though. Good luck.

In my experience, I can think of no official name though "nose warmer" is awfully popular at the moment. FWIW :cheers: FTRPLT

Maybe a little off topic but ran across this:

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/24471/24471-h/24471-h.htm#img043

An (interesting for me) excerpt below perhaps explaining the origins of the term "Stummel"

Of many warriors, none have been more devoted to the plant than Napoleon, Frederick of Prussia and Blücher the Bold. The following anecdote of the latter is one of the best of its kind:

"As is well-known, Field-Marshal Blücher, in addition to his brave young 'fellows' (as he called his horsemen), loved three things above all, namely, wine, gambling, and a pipe of Tobacco. With his pipe he would not dispense, and he always took two or three puffs, at least, before undertaking anything. 'Without Tobacco, I am not worth a farthing,' he often said. Though so passionately fond of Tobacco, yet old 'Forwards' was no friend of costly smoking apparatus; and he liked best to smoke long, Dutch clay pipes, which, as everybody knows, very readily break. Therefore, from among his 'young fellows' he had chosen for himself a Pipe-master, who had charge of a chest well packed with clay pipes; and this chest was the most precious jewel in Blücher's field baggage. If one of the pipes broke, it was, for our hero, an event of the greatest importance. On its occurrence, the 'wounded' pipe was narrowly examined, and if the stem was not broken off too near the head, it was sent to join the corps of Invalids, and was called 'Stummel' (Stump, or Stumpy). One of these Stumpies the Field-Marshal usually smoked when he was on horseback, and when the troops were marching along or engaged in a reconnoissance, and eye-witnesses record that many a Stumpy was shot from his mouth by the balls of the enemy—nothing but a piece of the stem then remaining between his lips.

Puffer Mark":cu81j92u said:
... eye-witnesses record that many a Stumpy was shot from his mouth by the balls of the enemy—nothing but a piece of the stem then remaining between his lips.
Imagine someone with the mind of an adolescent and no knowledge of firearms snickering at this...oh, wait. Never mind.  :oops:

Back on topic: why not just call them short pipes? Walk into a tobacconist's emporium, if you can find one, and say, "Hey you feller! I wants me a short pipe. You got any?"

Nosewarmer has become the namesake for them now, but there are so many different terms out there used for them: stubby, chubby, short (who would have thought?), sports (or Sportsman by Peterson), etc. There is no real rule of thumb to be honest.

Richard Burley":omzpqiiq said:
Puffer Mark":omzpqiiq said:
... eye-witnesses record that many a Stumpy was shot from his mouth by the balls of the enemy—nothing but a piece of the stem then remaining between his lips.
Imagine someone with the mind of an adolescent and no knowledge of firearms snickering at this...oh, wait. Never mind.  :eek:ops
Mr. Burley. I figured if I waited a bit you would comment on this one sentence and you didn't disappoint. Thank you for that.  :lol:

There's always one isn't there? Well there are usually two at least but I digress. :joker:

Dottleman":p104cnp2 said:
Seriously, do you lie awake at night and think these things up? LMAO!!!
:lol!:
Hey, some day's my mind is sharp with wit and some day's not so much. :fpalm:
Your just lucky to catch me on a good day is all. ;)

I've always referred to them as "nosewarmers" myself. I prefer short pipes. It just seems like a fitting name. I have heard of a few "eyebrow warmers" too, that are short stacked pipes. That's just a funny play on the term though.

Ha, I just had a funny notion to make an "ear warmer". It would be like a beer helmet, but for pipes, one bowl next to each ear with stems curving around in front of you. It will be the greatest new fad for the "active" pipe smoker.

Nosewarmer works for me. And contrary to popular opinion, you can keep your mustache. Look at my avi.

The style is also known as a Tug or Tugboat style pipe. If you consider what all a tugboat crew has to do to bring a ship from sea to pier (or vice versa), a short stout pipe makes sense. It allows you to smoke a pipe while working in cramped quarters and having to handle a lot of lines. It's short so you don't have to worry about it getting in the way. It's light, so you can keep it clenched in your mouth without causing fatigue while allowing you to keep your hands free for longer periods of time as you work the lines.

I've also heard it called a Fisherman's pipe. Crews on fishing boats work in similarly tight quarters and have similar line handling responsibilities, but they also must handle nets, and haul-in and fling fish. Again, a squat, light, and stout pipe has an advantage over a standard-sized pipe. In both cases it can get nippy out on the water, so it has an added advantage of supplying a bit of heat to warm your face.

RoyOdhner":nhmajrro said:
The style is also known as a Tug or Tugboat style pipe. If you consider what all a tugboat crew has to do to bring a ship from sea to pier (or vice versa), a short stout pipe makes sense. It allows you to smoke a pipe while working in cramped quarters and having to handle a lot of lines. It's short so you don't have to worry about it getting in the way. It's light, so you can keep it clenched in your mouth without causing fatigue while allowing you to keep your hands free for longer periods of time as you work the lines.

I've also heard it called a Fisherman's pipe. Crews on fishing boats work in similarly tight quarters and have similar line handling responsibilities, but they also must handle nets, and haul-in and fling fish. Again, a squat, light, and stout pipe has an advantage over a standard-sized pipe. In both cases it can get nippy out on the water, so it has an added advantage of supplying a bit of heat to warm your face.
Very informative Roy, I never knew that. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,

RR