Shotgun rec's

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey

I've been thinking about a shotgun for home protection for some years. I know essentially nothing about them. Last time I fired a shotgun was when I was about 10 yrs old at a YMCA camp.

So what should I be looking at? Don't really want to go into a gun store and have them upsell me on what might be their biggest profit maker.

My price range? Well, I don't really know until I hear the recs but suffice to say that about $500 would be the limit. And hopefully much less than that, but there again I have absolutely no idea when it comes to this stuff.

I won't be using it for sport/game/trap shooting. In fact I'm only sighted in one eye and that was my "good'' one that I used for shooting. Not that I'm involved in shooting per se, but did do a bit of that years ago.

So what do you think?

Cheers,

RR

A good used 12 gauge pump action would fit your needs, a used gun would be a good choice. For home protection there are quite a few articles about shot choices especially if one lives in a duplex or apartment, there are shot choices that will stop the perpetrator and not penetrate the second layer of wall board, slugs and heavy buckshot loads are not among them.

Practice is also a much required necessity as well since you have to be able to hit what you're aiming at and there are many ways one can effectively use a shotgun w/o mounting it to sight it.

If offered in your area a home defense class might be the wisest investment you can make, it will not only ensure you will safely handle the firearm but it will have the latest data to help you make a wise choice for you and your wallet. If you are wondering, yes, I was a Chief Hunter Safety Instructor, I taught firearm handling and safety and I also taught survival, cheers.
banjo

Remington 870 express. Cheap, built like a tank, reliable, accurate. Get the 28" barrel, go find a local trap club, learn to be proficient with it. The sawed off short barrel guns are no better at home defense, but they are worthless for shooting sports, and shooting sports is what gets you proficient with guns.

fishnbanjo":zr5au6p0 said:
...A good used 12 gauge pump action would fit your needs, a used gun would be a good choice.
+1 All the name brands are pretty good: Remington, Mossberg, Winchester, etc. My preference is the Ithaca Model 37.

Fella who used to live across the street saw some kids siphoning gas out of his truck. Opened the door real quiet-like, stuck his Winchester Model 12 out and shucked it. Nothing but assholes and elbows exiting the area. Once you've heard an action like that you never forget it.

The Remmington 870 is a good recommendation. Another is the Mossberg 500. Both have been used by military and law enforcement personnel for years and have an abundance of aftermarket parts. The good news is that in the shotgun market, $500 will be more than enough to get whatever you need, especially used.

Rande, I'll 3rd the 870 recommendations. Just a fantastic shotgun that can be had used for around $200, and accessories are prolific from many aftermarket companies.

An 870 is similar to the small block 350 Chevy, in versatility and popularity. If you buy one used, you probably won't see much depreciation if you decide to trade either.

Do not worry about good eye or bad eye.  With a shotgun, you just point and shoot.  For home defense, as a last resort, any field grade gun is going to do what you need.  As long as it's solid and clean, it will digest factory ammo just fine.

Every gun store in the country will probably have used Remington 870's, Browning BPS's, Winchester's of various types.  Old Steven's like the one I have.  Numerous double guns.  And if you prefer, automatics.  Remington Model 11's and Browning Auto 5's.

Speaking of ammo.  Anything at close range in a home will do.  You do not need slugs or buckshot.  Buckshot is popular on the shelves and I have a box.  Even an ounce and a quarter of #9 shot in a Dove load is going to be devastating at close range.

You can get a good idea of what different models sell for at Gunbroker.com  Check the completed auctions.  Lots of search functions.

Learn how to strip the weapon down for cleaning.  Keep it oiled and waxed as you prefer, and it will be there for you when/if you need it.  Do not store it in a soft padded gun case.  It may draw moisture and rust the thing badly.

Guess I'm odd man out, but, the Mossberg 510 Mini Super Bantam in 20gauge makes a great in the house shotgun. Shorter over-all makes for better handling inside and an oz of shot is an oz of shot.

$325 at Cabelas.

My guess is that well over half the home defense shotguns sold are Remington 870s and Mossberg 500s. Both are inexpensive and reliable. I'd choose one of them. The functional difference between the two is the location of the safety. If you're left handed, the Mossberg is better.

If the shotgun were for me, I'd buy a 28" barrel. so I could hunt with it. Since you have no interest in anything other than home defense, go with the 18½" barrel. Something along this line would be my choice. http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/37_64_991/products_id/95077/Remington+870+Express+12g+18%22+blued%2C+black-synthetic

At the range of your intended use, a 20-gauge would be just fine. Plenty of shot gunners will tell you that the 20 packs as much wallop as the 12 out to reasonable shooting distances. Not all of them, of course, but if you're aiming to hit something across the living room, you should be fine. Practice saying, "Get off my lawn." (Sorry, movie joke.)

If you choose the 870 I'd recommend shopping for a used one.  My nephew bought a new one and it was absolute junk; next to the old one his dad owns it was a shadow of the old gun's quality.  Wouldn't cycle shells and wouldn't fire half the time.  He sent it back to Remington 2 or 3 times and they never could fix it.  They did eventually refund his money; I'll give them that.

Brewdude: Except a training class when you buy the shotgun get some accessories as a saddle for 4 extra rounds and a flash light.

Idlefellow":45zlnjdh said:
My nephew bought a new one and it was absolute junk; next to the old one his dad owns it was a shadow of the old gun's quality.  Wouldn't cycle shells and wouldn't fire half the time.  He sent it back to Remington 2 or 3 times and they never could fix it.  They did eventually refund his money; I'll give them that.
"Recycle" and "economy" done many bad things in "Quality" now at modern times.

I've got two Mossbergs 500's. The 500 Royal is a good gun...nice to look at too. The shorter barreled 500 lives in the bedroom and is loaded with double ought buck. The Royal is loaded with number four and in a different room. Both are smooth bores but accurate out to 100 yards with slugs. Good guns for deer too. Simple to break down for a good cleaning. I've had no problems with either. One word of warning...12 ga. shot guns loaded with 3" slugs kick like a mule on steroids.

My daughters fiance owns a large shop in WV. He just put together a tactical 870 and cerakoted it camo. I asked him to build me one as well (all black). I'll have to snag a picture of it, but it's using similar components.

wm_1324991.jpg

I have two Model 12 Winchesters, one was my fathers duck gun with a 30" barrel and full choke and the other I picked up when in high school and now have modified for home defense with an 18" barrel, open choke and I keep it loaded with dbl ought buckshot. Nice thing about pre-'68 pumps, there is no seer interuptor on the trigger so you can fire a shot with each stroke of the pump by keeping the trigger pulled so you can almost fire as fast as an auto !! :twisted: :twisted:

Watch your ammo choice W either the 12_or 20 GA. Pick something that is not likely to penetrate interior walls of your home.

For effective home security I like to plant traps all over the house, like in Home Alone! I wanna be up on the landing watching the intruders bloody and smoking below and be able to yell, "Ya had enough? Or are ya eager fer some more?" I wanna hear 'em squeal!

Blackhorse":2h1h0z1c said:
Watch your ammo choice W either the 12_or 20 GA. Pick something that is not likely to penetrate interior walls of your home.

For effective home security I like to plant traps all over the house, like in Home Alone! I wanna be up on the landing watching the intruders bloody and smoking below and be able to yell, "Ya had enough? Or are ya eager fer some more?" I wanna hear 'em squeal!
Careful! Don't get "hoist with your own petard."

Yes, birdshot of any size is quite adequate indoors at close range for bringing someone down. Anyone here ever fire a gun indoors with no hearing protection? I wince to think of having to do it. Then there's the clean-up. Life's a bitch.

I've fired a 9MM indoors with no hearing protection. Not bad. I shudder to think of a shotgun round.