Should it stay or should it go?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noreaster

Reaction score
OK, I managed to un-load..... um... I mean gift my pouch of Borkum Riff to a buddy who is also just starting pipe smoking too BUT I have three or four other pouches going now too. On the other hand, I have collect a fair amount of little baggies (than God the cops didn't pull me over the other night!) all with various weights of "good" tobacco in them. Should I:

Smoke up all the pouches and get rid of them or

put them on the back burner since they are full of preservatives and will "keep" or

Keep smoking the pouches because having a firm grasp on the classics will let me develop my taste and appreciate the "better" tobaccos that I have in my "cellar"?

My Cellar:
photo-45.jpg

Buy small mason jars and jar them for later. You may want them later. If not you can gradually give them away.

If you like the pouches and think you might want to smoke some of them in the future, then by all means keep them. OTOH, if they are not your thing, pass them on. That's what I would do, Brother.

Yes, definitely invest in a box of the Pint Jars. They offer plenty of storage when starting out. When you get more into TAD and start ordering larger quantities, then you'll need the Quart Jars.

Rob_In_MO":4zcl0dua said:
If you like the pouches and think you might want to smoke some of them in the future, then by all means keep them. OTOH, of they are not your thing, pass them on. That's what I would do, Brother.

Yes, definitely invest in a box of the Pint Jars. They offer plenty of storage when starting out. When you get more into TAD and start ordering larger quantities, then you'll need the Quart Jars.
Pay attention to Brother Rob, As usual that good mid-western logic !! Really :p

Rob_In_MO":1ia1isht said:
If you like the pouches and think you might want to smoke some of them in the future, then by all means keep them. OTOH, if they are not your thing, pass them on. That's what I would do, Brother.

Actually, I do like the pouches. My metabolism might be off or something. I know that reviewers say over and over again that the OTC pouches are bland and tasteless but I find it to me the opposite. I find that the OTCs produce lots of chewy smoke. This is important for a new guy to tell if his pipe is burning well or going out plus blowing crap-loads of smoke is just plain fun! I also find that they produce way more flavor than the "better" aromatics. Now, the "good" blends produce better and more carried flavors, but for sheer BOOM-FLAVOR I think that the pouches win.

Except the BRW. I did not like that at all. Fortuneatly I was able to pass it on to a friend of mine who enjoys it very much! Not as much as he enjoyed The Gold Leaf's "Cookies and Cream" which is a lane cavandish mix of one sort or the other...

gravel":wt2e667i said:
Buy small mason jars and jar them for later. You may want them later. If not you can gradually give them away.
Stupid NooB questions:
Take the tobacco out of the pouch or just dump the bag in the jar?
If the later, can I stuff all the bags into one jar?

Noreaster":z1phpj3w said:
Stupid NooB questions:
You could just throw the pouch into the jar, but I just dump the contents directly into the jar. Just be sure it's nice and clean.

DrumsAndBeer":0cujuifm said:
Noreaster":0cujuifm said:
Stupid NooB questions:
You could just throw the pouch into the jar, but I just dump the contents directly into the jar. Just be sure it's nice and clean.
Yup. When I buy jars, I. Simply check to make sure there is no foreign matter in the jar. I then dump the baccy in and seal the jar. Periodically it's a good practice to check your jars and tighten the rings up as the lids will snug up leaving a bit of play on the rings.

Rob_In_MO":3i7rt7p2 said:

As Gravel and Rob have pointed out. Both Quart and Pint jars are not only useful but necessary for long term storage. Pints are perfect for 1-4 ounces, I use Quarts for those 8 ounce bulk purchases (I am a price break kind of guy), or if you choose to, you can parse your larger bulk purchases into smaller more manageable increments. Afterall who like likes having 8 ounces of tobacco open calling their name? :p

No shame in givin' stuff away, no shame in keepin' it. Depends on how much you really want to try and/or like them.

I recently discovered the half-pint wide-mouth jars, and really like them. Even if you have a lot of tobacco, you can open smaller bits of larger bulk without subjecting the rest of it to drying out, or if you are aging, seeing how it's coming along without stopping the process. Otherwise, I usually repurpose food jars that can be rid of any product-stink and use those if the seals are okay. One barbecue sauce jar had a smokey aroma in the lid, so in went some Squadron Leader that needed a home. :lol:

8)