Shout out for "Kapnismologist"

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

old_salt

Reaction score
Saw that you have 4 Dunhill tins open , as well as Some Capt. Earle's

I recently went on a spending spree and bought every tin of Dunhill's
in town. But have never smoked anything by Dunhill's

I have all of Capt. E blends, and like-em all, especially Private Stock & 10 Russians.

Others that I like are
Penzance
GLP Westminster
Davidoff Royalty
Frog morton OTB

I was wondering if I could impose upon your or any one out there, who has a broader background to comment on the Dunhill's in reference to the blends I've listed.
Sort of " dunhill X" is semi-close to say " penzance"
while" Dunhill Y" is "" """ "Westinster "

thanks

old_salt":k5bnkb5d said:
I was wondering if I could impose upon your or any one out there, who has a broader background to comment on the Dunhill's in reference to the blends I've listed.
Sort of " dunhill X" is semi-close to say " penzance"
while" Dunhill Y" is "" """ "Westinster "

thanks
To my mind, the only near cognate in the list would be Dunhill London Mixture to GLP Westminster. This in terms of genre and overall arrangement of the blend, but certainly not the cut and specific character (and that is what Greg was trying to do in this first place with that blend as I understand it). As to the others on your list, nothing draws close.

I am assuming you grabbed selections from the Dunhill portfolio as it existed under Orlik ~ 2006-2008 (meaning Royal Yacht, Standard Mixt. Med., Light Flake, MM 965, Nightcap, EMP, and London Mixture), although perhaps your take also included something along the lines of Elizabethan Mixture, Durbar, Apéritif, Standard Mixt. Mild, or Three Year Matured Virginia as well? There were all made by Orlik for a brief time after the transition from Ireland to Denmark.

I ended up with
8 EMP
1 965
2 NC
5 Royal Yacht
4 STD . Mix Med

Yes, I agree with Kapnismologist on everything he said. However, Westminster is a step above Murrays London Mixture.

I would say that if you press Dunhill Nightcap and make it sweeter, you might end up with something similar to Penzance. I know that Nightcap is not in your list, Old Salt, sorry for not being more helpfull.

To continue my tangent to your question, most of the blends that you mentioned are better than any of the Dunhill blends that you have. In particular Penzance, Westminster and 10 Russians are significantly better than the Dunhills. In better I meand that I like them more, which is a matter of opinion. I am sorry for the disappearance of the Dunhill blends because of what that expresses about the state of the pipe smoking hobby. But none left any gaps that cannot being fulfilled by available blends. And in an advantageous way. Don't get me wrong, some were quite good and tasty, but there are many others gooder and tastier out there.

Well, that's just my oppinion. There are many Dunhills that I am sorry for not having tried, such as Baby'sBottom. But I also think that they wouldn't have disappeared if there were more buyers in the past, which is perhaps a statement about their past popularity. Now that they are gone, everyone wants some. Perhaps this is a view that is too cynical. And oversimplified. But it is my uninformed view and I'm sticking to it, at least for now and until I get better educated about it.

Wet Dottle":zmgc366w said:
To continue my tangent to your question, most of the blends that you mentioned are better than any of the Dunhill blends that you have.
I would agree without much hesitation, esp. re: Westminster. The one thing I really do like about said Dunhill preparations, however, is the cut which is (esp. the Orlik versions) so uniform and nicely done that one rarely has to fuss with it. They smoke beautifully.

old_salt":g3gy8kqv said:
I ended up with
8 EMP
1 965
2 NC
5 Royal Yacht
4 STD . Mix Med
I would say enjoy them for what they are and do not worry about comparisons. Personally, I never liked Royal Yacht and have no tins in my cellar. But then again, I have never been a fan of aromatics. Nightcap (both versions) is a classic, and should be tried by every pipester at least once. It is a regular in my rotation (at least until I run out of the dozen or so tins I have squirreled away).