Show us your crabs!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aussiemike

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
We basically have sand crabs/ blue swimmers and mud crabs over here in Aussie. Also spanner crabs I will post a pic . They call them that cause of there claw.

1706123103729.png

blue swinner
1706122895670.png

spanner crab

1706122947285.png

Mud crabs
1706122979089.png

XXXX gold yum lol

1706123001747.png

WOW I though our muddys were built like brick shit houses they are huge, I have never seen them before.
I think our local commercial season opens about now. These are my favorite sea food. Along with a good Salmon species and Halibut I would need no other.

And if you think these Dungeness Crabs are built like a tank…google our incredible Geoduck Clam. It’s literally scary!

Our fresh water yabbies are delicious also.

Catching​

Catching yabbies, or "yabbying", in rivers and farm dams is a popular summertime activity in Australia, particularly with children. The most popular method involves tying a piece of meat to a few metres of string or fishing line, which in turn is fastened to a stick in the bank, and throwing the meat into the water. The string is pulled tight when a determined yabby grasps the meat in its claws and tries to make off with it. The line is then slowly pulled back to the bank, with the grasping yabby usually maintaining its hold on the meat. When the meat and the grasping yabby reaches the water's edge, a net is used to quickly scoop up both the meat and the grasping yabby in one movement.
Other methods of catching yabbies involve various types of nets and traps. Local fishing regulations must be checked before using any nets and traps for yabbies; many types of nets and traps are banned, as wildlife such as platypus, water rats, and long-necked turtles can become trapped in them and drown.

1706913756263.png

1706913837842.png

• Cherax quadricarinatus — Queensland red claw

Surprised someone hasn’t posted one of these…the Alaska King Crab. Point to point span can be as much as 6 feet. There are a number of sub species depending on where along the Aleutian chain you are. But whatever the exact species…they’re BIG!

IMG_7733.jpeg

Surprised someone hasn’t posted one of these…the Alaska King Crab. Point to point span can be as much as 6 feet. There are a number of sub species depending on where along the Aleutian chain you are. But whatever the exact species…they’re BIG!

View attachment 15595
Yeah me too. I bought 1 small leg from the Sydney seafood market for $8AU about 10 years ago just to try. It had been frozen so it wasn't that good but tasted to me like a cross between a mud crab and a blue swimmer. They were just the normal size not like that big hooer blacky.

This is the price now for 3 or 4 legs from Sydney seafood markets.

Cooked King Crab Legs (600-800g) $92.50 AU ea​

1707866746104.jpeg