Show us your favorite axe!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

s.ireland

Reaction score
Not sure if this has been done before but I'm calling out BoB's guitarists to show off there axe of choice!

I've owned many expensive and nice guitars over the years but after loosing my job 4 years ago, not playing professionally anymore, and two robberies I only have a small portion of my collection left. These are two favorites and I could never part with them. Not only because they aren't worth much money-wise, but because they sound better than guitars that cost $3k and up. I worked in the instrument retail business for three years and have been to several NAMM shows so I've had the pleasure of playing many wonderful instruments.

407960d2.jpg

I pieced both of these together myself (used to do repairs and custom jobs for the store I co-managed)

The tele is made from an American standard body that the store owner let me have after it fell off the wall and the neck broke. Note the battle scars. I slapped on a factory blank Fender neck (Allparts), dressed the frets, added compensated brass saddles to the bridge, threw in a set of Texas Special pickups with a four-way switch and NOS oil and paper caps and a volume kit.

The strat was a special order item that the customer decided not to buy because he wanted Fiesta Red and although this picture isn't very good the guitar is more of a coral or salmon. I loved it so I reshaped the neck into a softer V and threw in a set of Fralin Vintage Hot pickups.

Let's see you favorite(s)!

I just finished making a little guitar love (changing strings, cleaning, oiling fingerboard, etc.) to one of my two favorites in the collection, this 1936 Gibson L50. My other is a Recording King. No pics of that one today.

Yeah well... I don't play guitar. I play synthesizers, and occasionally fix/experiment/upgrade them.

Hey, just be glad I didn't post a picture of my firewood maul. 8)

My Realistic MG-1 Moog machine, restored. Yes, Radio Shack sold real, honest Moog synths in about 1980.

6220834642_18e036f2de_b.jpg

My Yamaha DX21. Not as cool as a DX7, but for $30, I put matching wood sides on it, courtesy my father-in-law.

6220314235_a2fff2659b_b.jpg

The guts of my Roland JX3P, upgraded with an experimental driver chip from New Zealand.

6220314513_308ba53611_b.jpg

Not my image, but what a JX3P looks like...Roland's first-ever MIDI-equipped synthesizer. Not as cool as a Jupiter or Juno, but has unique sounds. They rushed this sucker out and it had a hefty price tag for what it was--just a MIDI memory synth. Still love 'em, though.

IMG_0398.jpg

hobie1dog":tbwiub67 said:
darn, and I wanted to post up a picture of my trumpet. :cry:
Lets see it! I should have said "show us whatever favorite insrument you have" :)

That's an amazing Gibson, Josjor. looks like it's in great shape too. How long have you had it/where did you score it? Have any recordings that showcase that lovely jazzbox?

And, Kyle, I feel like sound clips are owed! You can't tease us with tweaked synths and not let us hear 'em! I have to know what that MG-1 can do very cool stuff you have there 8)

s.ireland":q0fta3af said:
That's an amazing Gibson, Josjor. looks like it's in great shape too. How long have you had it/where did you score it? Have any recordings that showcase that lovely jazzbox?
The guitar really is in pretty good shape, though I wouldn't call it pristine. I've had it for a few years now and bought it when someone brought it into the shop wanting to sell it. I've been in the music store biz as an employee since 1984 and as an owner since 2006. Back in the 80's and 90's guitars like this were just old archtops and nobody really cared for them that much. Unfortunately we/I didn't have the forethought to hold on to all the classics we bought, though we still have a dozen or so old collectibles on display at the shop. I'll try and post a pic or two of the antique displays later.

Alas, I don't have any recordings of my own. Truth be told, I'm not much of a guitarist. I'm a decent arranger and music historian and make about 90% of the choices for our band. No jazz on the old archtop. We do more of an early music/Americana sort of thing. Imagine that the Carter Family (the original ones, Ma and A.P.) went to Sun Records and had Sam Phillips guide them. Or, if you need a modern comparison, imagine Gillian Welch on high doses of caffiene.

My other favorite guitar is a Recording King. It's nothing fancy to look at, just a 000 body with a solid Sitka spruce top and Rosewood back and sides so I won't bother with a picture. But..........if you ever have a chance to try one of these out, do. The sound is incredible and the workmanship is amazing for a sub $1k guitar. Close your eyes and ignore the headstock and you would swear you are playing a Martin circa 1935.

[url=https://servimg.com/view/14686...vimg.com/u/f48/14/68/67/88/01446217.jpg[/IMG][/url]

Looks backwards doesn't it?,,,It does to me. An accident splintered the knuckle on my ring finger which greatly reduced its range of motion. That eliminated playing guitar and I liquidated most of my equipment and guitars several years ago. Now I'm starting all over, learning to play left handed. It's extremely awkward knowing what I want to do, but being unable to reverse chord patterns, fingering progressions, etc. in my mind,,,and transfer to my right fingers on the fretboard. It's a stock Strat, 98 NOS,,,

Ignore the ugly so-and-so holding the guitar.

6221518058_b2264958b5_z.jpg

It's one of the newer Gretsches, Korean-made, but it still has that trademarked sweet sound (esp. when you crank up the reverb.)

mark":kihf99a5 said:
[url=https://servimg.com/view/14686...vimg.com/u/f48/14/68/67/88/01446217.jpg[/IMG][/url]

Looks backwards doesn't it?,,,It does to me. An accident splintered the knuckle on my ring finger which greatly reduced its range of motion. That eliminated playing guitar and I liquidated most of my equipment and guitars several years ago. Now I'm starting all over, learning to play left handed. It's extremely awkward knowing what I want to do, but being unable to reverse chord patterns, fingering progressions, etc. in my mind,,,and transfer to my right fingers on the fretboard. It's a stock Strat, 98 NOS,,,
Just like Tony Iommi! My hats off to you sir. Learning to play left handed must be incredibly challenging... Just play in front of a mirror until you get the hang of it :) nice strat though. There's nothing like an Olympic white Strat. I think if it was me I'd have a much harder time getting my left hand to pick and strum properly than getting my right hand to finger chords...

Sweet Gretsch, Doc! I remember when they first came out (the Korean models) I was super impressed with the quality. I want one! So I can turn the reverb up to ten and play the solo to Nowhere Man over and over :cheers:

Nice instruments all!! :cheers:

Those older Fenders make me think back to another time... Shane, is that Stratocaster like what Buddy Holly played? I remember seeing him with something similar anyway. (I know next to nada about guitars so you'll have to forgive my dumb questions)

I want to see Harlock chime in with some photos now. I know he's got a few cool guitars in his collection....

Thanks..pretty neat model...80's (forget which year, 83 maybe..have to check the SSN). Not too many single pup 'dullas that I've seen.

Funny thing is I traded a white Buzz model that I loved, but was kinda tough and a waste for the style of music I play. The neck was a bit more pointed at the back, which I find I miss, but this one is the one.

Sweet axes all around!! Keep 'em coming folks!

...well... Soundcloud.com/syntaxiate is my most recent (but not exclusive) representative of recent work....

s.ireland":i8supj19 said:
The strat was a special order item that the customer decided not to buy because he wanted Fiesta Red and although this picture isn't very good the guitar is more of a coral or salmon. I loved it so I reshaped the neck into a softer V and threw in a set of Fralin Vintage Hot pickups.
Fiesta Red is a very subjective thing. Everyone seems to have a different idea of what that color should look like. Years ago I had a '64 Jazzmaster painted Fiesta Red and it came out looking really pinkish. The guitar was already a bit of a Frankenstein, and I wanted it to look like George Fullerton's JMaster, but I kind of wish I hadn't messed with it. Never had the same mojo again. I still have it, and it's still one of the best playing guitars I've ever had, just not quite the same as it used to be...

MisterE":o5t05i0l said:
Shane, is that Stratocaster like what Buddy Holly played? I remember seeing him with something similar anyway. (I know next to nada about guitars so you'll have to forgive my dumb questions)
It is actually a '50s reissue so yes it's the same style of strat Buddy used! Good eye! For a trumpet player... :lol!:

Kyle Weiss":8vr823sh said:
...well... Soundcloud.com/syntaxiate is my most recent (but not exclusive) representative of recent work....
Progressive-retro-techno? Touches of Jarre, Tangerine Dream and Kraftwerk influences, and maybe Eno? Fripp?

Cool stuff. I haven't listened to all of them, yet, but will. How much of it is analogue?

I don't have pictures of my guitars. I'll have to correct that. I'm loving what I'm seeing here.

Harlock999":9grv4qiq said:
Two Fenders, a '62 and a '66, and a bunch of other junk.
Rarities! That Electric XII is very cool. I've always wanted to see one in person. Fended put the 12 string neck on a Strat for a while, but it just wasn't the same. Congratulations on a couple of very cool guitars.