Sillem's Commodore Flake

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

U-235

Reaction score
Has anyone tried Sillem's Commodore Flake?  Sounds like an interesting Latakia blend.  It's rather expensive and hard to find.  Is there an English blend similar to it?  I have been thinking about giving it a try, but trying to keep my TAD under control - I have a lifetime quantity of English blends as it is. :lol!:

I enjoyed a tin of the stronger of the other two flakes years ago. I never tried the Latakia flake because I'm not a big latakia guy. Somebody is bound to know better than me. Good luck.

I smoked some Commodore Flake last year. It's strong. BIG nicotine.

All in all, good latakia flavor. It's a smooth, spicy, full bodied smoke with no edges or harshness.

For me it had a bit too much nicotine to be anything more than a very occasional indulgence.

DrumsAndBeer":k1zuks78 said:
I smoked some Commodore Flake last year. It's strong. BIG nicotine.

All in all, good latakia flavor. It's a smooth, spicy, full bodied smoke with no edges or harshness.

For me it had a bit too much nicotine to be anything more than a very occasional indulgence.
Thank you.  That was helpful.  On tobaccoreviews I have read that it is a strong, full-flavored blend and many have commented on the high dose of nicotine.  The nicotine doesn't bother me.  I was more concerned about it being harsh, so I am happy to hear that you found it to be smooth.  From what I gathered, it does not contain any Virginias or Orientals - just dark fired Kentucky, Cavendish (which could be a Virginia Cavendish) and Latakia.  An unusual English mixture if you would call it that.  All of this in flake form, I will have to place an order.  There is always a reason to justify my TAD. :lol:

U-235":174f4p1z said:
Thank you.  That was helpful.  On tobaccoreviews I have read that it is a strong, full-flavored blend and many have commented on the high dose of nicotine.  The nicotine doesn't bother me.  I was more concerned about it being harsh, so I am happy to hear that you found it to be smooth.  From what I gathered, it does not contain any Virginias or Orientals - just dark fired Kentucky, Cavendish (which could be a Virginia Cavendish) and Latakia.  An unusual English mixture if you would call it that.  All of this in flake form, I will have to place an order.  There is always a reason to justify my TAD. :lol:
I think you're right, and there are no other tobaccos besides the KY, Lat and Cavendish. There's just enough Cavendish to keep the other two tobaccos from getting rowdy. As far as strength goes, each time I smoked Commodore Flake, I felt its strength almost immediately. It's a rare bird in the latakia phylum that gives me that kind of reaction.

Let us know what you think..