Similar to Escudo

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bazsup

Reaction score
After thirty years of smoking aeromatics and trying other things from time to time without luck, I happened on a tin of Escudo at my local B&M. It is the first Virginia that didn't burn my tongue. I really enjoy it but have been smoking it exclussively for the last three months. Now I have the hankering to try other blends. I was wondering if any of the folks here could lead me in a rational direction from Escudo( I'm not rational often but I thought I would give it a try). Escudo will probably remain my go to blend but I'd like to try some other similar blends.

Would love to hear any of your recommendations. Thanks! Bob

Escudo is what's called a VaPer : a combination of Virginia with Perique (and rather a lot of Perique, as VaPers go).

It should be easy enough to use the search feature @ tobacco reviews to generate a long list of these to read about and choose from.

:face:

There used to be a page floating somewhere around the interwebz called the aging and cellaring FAQ with a section called "tobacco touchstones". I don't remember who wrote it or where it originated and I can't seem to find it anymore, the linkys no worky. Anyways, lucky you, I happened to copy/paste the Va/Per section of tobacco touchstones and e-mail it to myself a little while ago when I was searching for pretty much exactly the same info you are. Unfortunately I am unable to properly credit the original producer of the page since I don't know who it was and I can't link to it directly...so I'm not quite sure if it is kosher to reproduce part of it here but I'll do so anyway. Here is a copy/paste of the vaper part...I have not yet tried most of these so I can't exactly recommend them, but they should at least point you in the right direction:

Virginia/Perique Blends

(102) 633 by Solani
(35) Bayou Morning by Cornell & Diehl
(166) Bulk No. 2015 Virginia Flake by McClelland
(101) Elizabethan Mixture by Dunhill (Murray's) (Changed blending houses to Orlik in 2005; new recipe suspect)
(222) Escudo by A&C Petersen
(193) Haddo's Delight by GL Pease
(42) Luxury Navy Flake by Peter Stokkebye
(64) St. James Woods by McClelland
(190) Three Nuns (original) by Bell's (Unavailable for many years, but legendary!)

I am sure I will me met with much dissent for this statement, but while I enjoy Escudo immensely, IMO the SHPC VR Blend is the best VaPer that I have ever had. Granted there is a little unflavored black cavendish added to the VA and Perique, but it is quality stuff! Solani's VA w/Perique is decent too and so are many of the "touchstones", but you really should order some VR Blend and give it a go.

-Scott

Frost":izn1ps7t said:
There used to be a page floating somewhere around the interwebz called the aging and cellaring FAQ with a section called "tobacco touchstones". I don't remember who wrote it or where it originated and I can't seem to find it anymore, the linkys no worky. Anyways, lucky you, I happened to copy/paste the Va/Per section of tobacco touchstones and e-mail it to myself a little while ago when I was searching for pretty much exactly the same info you are. Unfortunately I am unable to properly credit the original producer of the page since I don't know who it was and I can't link to it directly...so I'm not quite sure if it is kosher to reproduce part of it here but I'll do so anyway. Here is a copy/paste of the vaper part...I have not yet tried most of these so I can't exactly recommend them, but they should at least point you in the right direction:

Virginia/Perique Blends

(102) 633 by Solani
(35) Bayou Morning by Cornell & Diehl
(166) Bulk No. 2015 Virginia Flake by McClelland
(101) Elizabethan Mixture by Dunhill (Murray's) (Changed blending houses to Orlik in 2005; new recipe suspect)
(222) Escudo by A&C Petersen
(193) Haddo's Delight by GL Pease
(42) Luxury Navy Flake by Peter Stokkebye
(64) St. James Woods by McClelland
(190) Three Nuns (original) by Bell's (Unavailable for many years, but legendary!)
Some great VaPers in this list :cheers:

Heinrich's Special Curly Cut is reputed to be like 3 nuns (or to be 3 nuns). I don't know, but it's punchy and woodsy.... nice smoking but a bit strong for me.

Not identical but worth a run would be something like Marlin Flake from Rattrays. I don't know if it has perique or not but it's tasty and easy smoking, has some similarities to escudo.

My recommendations:

Must have's; McConnell's Scottish Cake & GLP's Fillmore

Highly recommended; 2015 & Beacon both by McClelland

Peter Stokebye Luxury Bullseye Flake { has some cavendish } but the price
makes it a good every day smoke

I recently smoked a tin of Solani 633, age 5 years. It was totally delightful, enough to make me order 10 tins. I'm eager to smoke it young to taste the difference aging made.

Thanks for the recommendations. I appreciate having some new tobaccos to try.

I have gotten Haddo's Delight. I've wanted to try it for several years so I gave it a shot. I've had six or so bowls to date and its OK. That might be sacreligious but I am missing something of the flavor from Escudo. It doesn't burn or anything which I appreciate. Maybe I just was expecting so much from the tobacco reviews site.

I also have ordered Stokebye's Luxury Birdseye Flake. It hasn't come in yet but I'm looking forward to it!