"Siphoning" tobacco

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

momus

Reaction score
Perhaps a dumb post...but I am wondering if there is a better way of dealing with tobacco flakes that end up in your mouth after packing a pipe and the initial lighting. Sometimes I end up sucking tobacco particles through the stem...and I end up spitting them out (and I do clean out my pipes after every smoke). Uh, good thing I smoke in my backyard...not a very social activity at that point. Is there a better way of dealing with that? Or, since that doesn't always happen, is it just variations in my ability to pack the pipe well and over time it will greatly lessen? Thanks for your input.

You could use the circular screens that they make specifically for that, and just go to EBay and you can buy them in bulk. You simply insert one into the bottom of the pipe and it keeps all the baccy above the screen.

Cool...thanks...didn't know those existed...I suppose I could also use filters too...but those mess with the draw too much for me....With the mesh I suppose you change them out after every smoke since you gotta clean the pipe?

Or when packing put big pieces in first so the small pieces get trapped before they make it to you. I rarely ever get any pieces through the stem, if it do is only one or two pieces.

I also try to pour my 'baccy out on paper. I stir it up a little to settle the dust and little stuff. Pack mostly with the larger stuff. Leave a little room on top and then I grab a pinch of the crumblies and dust to top it off. Makes for a good light. Very intense initial flavor rush. If I do get some little pieces at the bottom of the bowl. I usually get the first one and stop, run a pipe cleaner in and pack it from the bottom.

I've heard of people putting a pipe cleaner in prior to packing the bowl to help prevent this but never tried it. Seems like it may work.

Carlos":jlmv0vz4 said:
I also try to pour my 'baccy out on paper. I stir it up a little to settle the dust and little stuff. Pack mostly with the larger stuff. Leave a little room on top and then I grab a pinch of the crumblies and dust to top it off. Makes for a good light. Very intense initial flavor rush. If I do get some little pieces at the bottom of the bowl. I usually get the first one and stop, run a pipe cleaner in and pack it from the bottom.
Close to what I do, only difference is I use a coffee cup saucer and just use it over and over. I take middle stuff first though so it will shake to the bottom good and then big stuff and what crumbs left I take the saucer and hold my pipe bowl to it can't miss and pour it in and if need be just tap it on my hand so it all falls in.

I make sure to keep all wiped off so it will not mix any left over to the next bowl since it most likely will be different.

Skip

I'll occasionally suck a bit or two through the stem. If I'm sitting in a crowded shop and can't spit I do the ole lick the hand trick. Or as the shop owner calls it, the "bathing cat" maneuver. XD